Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question? Unknown Tanto

Article about: I like the tang as it is Robert , it is evidence of it's real age

Default Question? Unknown Tanto

I picked up this tanto up from a local farm auction this weekend with a nice kriegsmarine dagger I will post later. This is one thing my knowledge is limited on I have spent more time lately studying up on swords in military mounts. I had no idea of the value of the tanto but just that I liked the artwork on it. The price seemed to be right so I just could not pass it up. I do not know much about the tanto like what period is if from and who would have used it or was it a souviner thing? I would also love some help reading the Kanji. If I need to get some chalk and put it in the Kanji or take some pictures of something else just please let me know. So what are you guys thoughts on it? Thanks for your help. Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question? Unknown Tanto   Question? Unknown Tanto  

Question? Unknown Tanto   Question? Unknown Tanto  

Question? Unknown Tanto  

Default re: Question? Unknown Tanto

Here is one more photo of Kanji on the handle of the little knife. Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question? Unknown Tanto  

The mounting is 19th century and was likely worn by a merchant as the design would be considered too gaudy for a samurai. The blade appears to be late Muramachi period(16th c.). I will study the signature and see if I can pin point more information for you.
    The signature on the kogatana or small blade is unreadable. The signatures on these are never of any significance and usually fake.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the information Mr.Coleman, it was with a nambu pistol at the auction so I thought it might be a battlefield pick up but I just did not know. I was hoping it would be something a samurai would have had but thought it might be a little gaudy for them as you said. I look forward to hearing what else you can find out about the signature. Thanks for your help. Thanks, Robert
    Last edited by TNcollector; 11-21-2012 at 04:50 AM.

?

What a nice find Robert ! I really like that Tanto , not in a military sense but a nice item of Japanese history with an artistic design on the Koshirai . The Elephants head used as a scabbard hanger is interesting . Its good to see the Kogatana is still attached as these are often lost or misplaced or even sold separately as they are collectable in their own right .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks Alan, for the kind words. The elephant hanger is one of my favorite aspects of the tanto, it was unlike any I had seen before. Thanks, Robert

The signature is difficult to read due to loss of steel with the large pitting of the tang. It appears to be either Nagasane or Nagashige. There is a good chance this blade was in a fire and is retempered. The dryness of the steel and large pitting that would be caused by removal of fire shale are classic indicators of a blade that has been burnt. I have no faith in the validity of the signature from what I can see. You have a nice set of mounts with a piece of steel that holds them together. I can tell better with an in hand examintion. Sorry for the delay. This week is deer hunting season combined with our Thanksgiving Day festivities yesterday.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks again Mr.Coleman, I don't know what I would do with out you. That makes a lot of sense after looking at the characteristics of the blade. I am deer hunter also, so I understand that. I hope you and your family had a happy thanksgiving. Good luck hunting! Thanks, Robert
    Last edited by TNcollector; 11-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.

?

Hi Robert , as Bob has stated , the signature is difficult to decipher due to material loss on the tang , however , looking at your expanded image of the tang , Norishige is another possibilty
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks for your reply Alan, it is a shame there is so much pitting on the tang. Thanks, Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast