Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question WWII Japanese mess plate/tray???

Article about: Hey guys, I just got this mess plate. Not sure if it's Japanese WWII or not? Does anyone know anything about it? I tried looking for info on it but maybe it's not Japanese?

?

Default Question WWII Japanese mess plate/tray???

Hey guys,

I just got this mess plate.
    Not sure if it's Japanese WWII or not?
    Does anyone know anything about it?
    I tried looking for info on it but maybe it's not Japanese?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question WWII Japanese mess plate/tray???   Question WWII Japanese mess plate/tray???  

?

No luck?
    Any ideas where to look to find info on it?

Nothing I recognise?

Any markings?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This is not a typical Japanese food implement. It is Western in style. I am moving this to the Japanese Forum where you are likely to recieve a more educated response
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I agree with Bob. After looking around .... it sorta looks like the ones in the attached photo.

Here's the caption:
    Eating in the mess hall, Apr. 6, 1942, Santa Anita Assembly Center, California.

Courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration, Ctrl. #: NWDNS-210-G-B400, NARA ARC #: 537029, WRA, Photographer Clem Albers

source
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question WWII Japanese mess plate/tray???  

?

Thats it , brilliant Guy !! a super link
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Found another.

The major difference between this and yours are that this lacks the stacking detents/buldges on yours ... and has US markings on the reverse.

--Guy

Edit: Also, this one has a flat rim, whereas yours is lipped to assist stacking.

Ebay Source current as of 12/23/2014 (Buy it Now $17.99)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question WWII Japanese mess plate/tray???   Question WWII Japanese mess plate/tray???  

Last edited by ghp95134; 12-23-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Grammar

?

Guy , either way , they are from the USA , yes ? Just minor adjustments to the design . Could be some were made for the masses in a canteen
    and the others for individual ownership , just a thought
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Guy , either way , they are from the USA , yes ? Just minor adjustments to the design . Could be some were made for the masses in a canteen
    and the others for individual ownership , just a thought
    Al,

I cannot say for certain that Danger's mess plate is US-made ... but it sure looks so. I did a google search using "sectional mess plate" and "divided mess plate", etc., but only ever saw the three-sectional aluminium plate with USA attribution. Saw other chinaware sectional dishes that were European, but nothing Japanese.

I've tried to recall what was used in the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force's mess when I visited the Intelligence School for a week, and when I was on a command post exercise (Joint-CPX "Yama Sakura") for two weeks (two different years) ... but I just cannot remember what sort of plates/dishes were used.

--Guy

?

Wow thanks guys, I will check for markings when it arrives.
    I only paid $5 all up for it.
    I had a funny feeling it wasn't Japanese but because it was so cheap i thought why not.
    will use it for camping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast