Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare variant dog tag

Article about: Here is an interesting tag variant that I have only seen twice in 13 years of collecting. While the general layout of the tag is essentially the same like other coded wartime tags, the middl

?

Default Rare variant dog tag

Here is an interesting tag variant that I have only seen twice in 13 years of collecting. While the general layout of the tag is essentially the same like other coded wartime tags, the middle column is what sets this example apart. Usually the numbered company or battalion is marked in the middle column: 2nd Comp. 1st Batt., etc. This example has the full battalion complement marked: 800. It is essentially a tag for a member of an independent battalion unit, in this case it is the 379th Independent Infantry Battalion within the 58th Independent Mixed Brigade (Code: 7205), which had 800 soldiers per battalion. As can be seen, the former unit, whether it be a mistake or transfer, is 7201 which is the code number for the 58th IMB HQ. The 58th IMB was activated in the Philippines in July of 1944, utlizing the 12th Expeditionary unit as its core element (Underwood), last located on Luzon. If anyone has a similar marked tag out there giving the full complement number, I would be interested in seeing pics, if possible. Thanks!

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images Rare variant dog tag 

Rod
    ?

Nice chunk of history! Thanks for sharing it Tom.

I almost went for that tag. I thought it was neat and very different.