I have just acquired 2 Japanese swords from my grand parents. Both of these swords were brought home by my great-grandfather during WW2 (he served in the Marines on Pelilu and Okinawa.) Right now I am unsure whether or not they are real or reproductions.
- The blades on both the swords are steel and have spots of rust. (One has a small spot, the other has a rather big patch of rust)
- Cannot find any sort of markings or identifying pieces without removing the handle. (No clue how to remove it, and don't wanna screw it up) No numbers or Japanese characters.
- The scabbards are in rather poor condition and do not have any of the ornamentation that I've seen on some of the real swords I've seen.
- There is no ornament in the handle under the wrapping, which is what worries me the most.
- The Tsubas are different on each sword.
- The Tsuba on the other sword has hollowed out areas.
- Sat in a basement for almost 70 years (Along with a Type 99 Arisaka rifle and a LIVE Japanese grenade) So they were rarely (if ever) cleaned.
I am new to the whole military artifacts thing so if you could help me out on exactly how to ID these swords that would be awesome.
1st Pic below is of both swords. The rest of the pics are of the sword in better condition. The better of the two is on bottom.
Can add pics of the second sword or other pics if requested. Felt like I have a decent amount of pics.