Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Real or Reproduction? Two Samurai Katanas

Article about: Hey everyone, My buddy and i went to a gunshow this past weekend, and he got a couple of nice Katanas. I'm not a sword expert, and he's a little concerned that the swords he was told to be a

Default Real or Reproduction? Two Samurai Katanas

Hey everyone,

My buddy and i went to a gunshow this past weekend, and he got a couple of nice Katanas. I'm not a sword expert, and he's a little concerned that the swords he was told to be authentic are in fact reproductions. Would anyone with sword expertise be able to helpe me out in figuring out the authenticity of these swords? Thank you all in advance

Alex

Real or Reproduction?  Two Samurai KatanasReal or Reproduction?  Two Samurai KatanasReal or Reproduction?  Two Samurai KatanasReal or Reproduction?  Two Samurai KatanasReal or Reproduction?  Two Samurai KatanasReal or Reproduction?  Two Samurai Katanas

?

Default Re: Real or Reproduction? Two Samurai Katanas

Even with the terrible pictures it is easy to tell they are Chinese fakes.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Even with the terrible pictures it is easy to tell they are Chinese fakes.
    Chop Fooey....???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I have had a similar Katana laying around for over 20 years.They may not be Chineese made but they are certainly not WW2 Japanese.
    I wouldn't call them fake as they were never ment to be copies of anything.They are what they are,A cheap modern built sword.
    Cheers
    Dave

The number on the habaki is a dead giveaway that these are Chinese fakes. For some reason, the fakers seem to think that numbering parts give the sword a air of authenticity. The Japanese NEVER had serial numbers on their habaki. These are mounted in a manner to purport real samurai swords and not military. The quality of all the pieces is a distant reach from the genuine article. I hope your friend can return them to the seller as if he represented these as real, the representation is pure fraud. I am sure these were priced far under what one would pay for the genuine article.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you all for the responses...For both swords, he paid $130. I'm going to assume that he overpaid for these?

I have heard of people paying more. Evidently your friend has no idea what a true fully mounted samurai sword sells for. Even a fair quality period katana today would sell for over 1K EACH.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I think the price paid was a 'two-for-one' deal, as I see these Chinese
    fakes all over Ebay starting at around $100 each. They will make
    nice wall hangers as a reminder.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

The good part of this, must be that owner now knows how a ww2 sword are not supposed to look like.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I have heard of people paying more. Evidently your friend has no idea what a true fully mounted samurai sword sells for. Even a fair quality period katana today would sell for over 1K EACH.
    That's exactly what I was thinking...I know that any time that I've seen a legitimate Katana, the cheapest I've ever seen one go for is around $650-800.