MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Repro? tassel

Article about: Dear forum members, recently I aquired a wakizashi in shingunto mountings. It has an odd tassel which I think is a "modern" reproduction. The tassel has been with the sword for ove

?

Default Repro? tassel

Dear forum members, recently I aquired a wakizashi in shingunto mountings. It has an odd tassel which I think is a "modern" reproduction.
    The tassel has been with the sword for over thirty years. (i know that's not a very long period) A fellow member from another forum has exactly the same forum and suggested it may be from another unit (Medical, railway, etc.)

To the best of my knowledge there are the blue and brown, red and brown, red with gold and brown, totally brown tassels. This one is red and maroon.

So to make a long story short, am I correct in thinking it's a "modern" repro?
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers, Leen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Repro? tassel  

It looks OK color-wise, but the tassel configuration seems to have gotten messed with, as original shape would have been like here.

I'm not aware of any period tassels in maroon and red either. I have seen some that, because of fading and weathering, have changed colors. If you turn some of the knots/folds open, can you see if the color is the same inside? Or is it all maroon/red inside and out?

Adding this photo of an indentical tassel owned by Ray (Raay) at NMB. Both owners say the tassels came with the swords, and to their knowledge, always through private owners at least for 30 years (though, that only goes back to 1990).

Hoping to hear why you're not bothered by the color Nick.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Repro? tassel  

To me maroon means chestnut brown and what I see in the photo is just that, so the color name rang no alarm.

?

I'll ad two extra pictures from my tassel for good measure
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Repro? tassel   Repro? tassel  

?

It looks unissued & the tassels are factory tied together that's why it looks strange. New color combo for me as well

?

Jareth, like you say, the tassels look like they are tied for sale/transport so as not to fluff out before sale or use. Even passepartout, furniture tassels are tied closed before sale.

With the improved pictures, I'm starting to feel like the "purple" is just a poor mix of brown. I wanted to say a faded brown, but if it was never in the field, sill in it's packaging, it can't be faded.

?

AFAIK It's not in it's packaging, it just has its tassel bound to keep it neat and unfrayed which is how you get them when new. Possibly on display for the last 70 years. I would also mention that some dyes fade and change colour more than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast