Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Rubber-soled Boots... Issue question

Article about: Good day all, I acquired a pair of the rubber-soled boots a little while ago, as adopted in Showa 16 or 18 (1941 or 1943, depending upon which source you believe). This pair, beautifully wel

?

I am very grateful to Nick and I am sure that I am among those who read everything he writes, every day about his articles, I have learned letters in army uniforms (at least date and model) and if I do not know the codes I can decipher something of the platelets, I also have a document with keywords in Japanese that I use to make copy and paste, now that I know I will contact you for the keywords that can be used to do research, it goes without saying that even if I use the google translator I can not read Japanese.

Yes, I can help with keywords that work like a Google search, but when that yields, for instance, 300 document files, you cannot go much further without any knowledge of the language, as you'll have no idea what the documents are saying about the topic. Of course, I won't be able to help you read all those 300 files. So first learn basic Japanese and only then does it make sense to start your searches.

Try a search in the archives by cutting and pasting the word 通称号. That will bring up 2,082 files to search through. You will find most of the code lists for reading dog tags within those files. The list will show how many pages each file consists of, so that gives you a good hint which files to open, as documents of only a few pages cannot contain such big lists, of course. If you are only interested in WW2 you can narrow the search by restricting the search to a certain timeframe. Most reliable lists were generated after the war in the late 40s, to assist in the repatriation of soldiers, etc.

My help with keywords becomes important once you have the basic vocabulary, because, for instance, the modern Japanese word for steel helmet won't get you any results. One needs to know the army lingo of those days and even the army switched their word for steel helmet 3 times (Tetsukabuto, Kabuto, then Tetsubo), so you need to use the right word for researching the Type 90 helmet. Additionally, the navy had their own lingo different from the army.

The basic word for military boots 軍靴 will yield 872 files to read through, but you will miss a lot of military files that way, so by searching for 靴 the search field increases to 8,416 files. If that is too many, you can further screen that result for files that contain the word army 陸軍. That reduces the search field to 6,415 files. If I were to write an evolution story on army boots, those files all need to be checked. Even then, there will be missing links, so I need to do searches on prototypes 試製 (2,616 files to read).

When downloading the documents, I first name them for the year with a short comment on content. This will automatically sort them in chronological order when you store them in one folder. After digging out all those files now in chronological order, I start writing the story from the beginning. That is how my evolution series have been written.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345