Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.

Article about: Hi guys, I stumbled upon this blade, (not literally... That would hurt!). But seriously, I have a few questions and concerns regarding this very old blade and hardware, with a WWII scabbard

?

Default Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.

Hi guys, I stumbled upon this blade, (not literally... That would hurt!). But seriously, I have a few questions and concerns regarding this very old blade and hardware, with a WWII scabbard and handle (I think). I've spent hours today researching the subject today, but still would appreciate some experienced members to give a few pointers. I'm having trouble getting the handle free from the tang without trying to force it. The bamboo retaining pin was already absent, so I went to the next step and properly popped the handle loose from the ricasso but this is where my progress stops. Am I missing something here?

The sword still has a tag that has been with it for a very long time..possibly WWII era. One side is written in Japanese and the other, in English giving a brief description , including the name and manufacture date that I'm guessing is on the tang, which brings me back to my predicament ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.   Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.  

Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.   Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.  

?

Default Macro temper line pics and paper tag

The blade is of a VERY high quality and EXTREMELY SHARP. It was obviously carefully hand made and very old. I took some macro pics (the best I could with this iPad). The temper line ( hamon ) is the real deal and not etched. You can see the little dots consistent with authentic tempering .

Also, here's pics of the tag.. Says its from Osaka, Japan and dated 1657. The name is a bit hard to read, but it may be a famous one some of you might recognize .
    Thanks very much for any kind of help or info that might lead me in the right direction.
    Regards,
    Dean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.   Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.  

Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.   Samurai Katana named/dated -17th cen.  

?

I also tried to get some macro images of the edge of the blade and also a side-by-side comparison with a modern razor blade (pic#2, the razor blade is on the right side of the sword blade) . The katana blade is as sharp, if not sharper! Pic#3 shows the sword blade alone and there's some dust particles on it, if you were wondering

The tag lists the swordsmith as Sukeshige. The mounting is totally civilian and the tag is likely from a police station when weapons were surrendered after the end of the war. If the nakago is not signed, the tag is nothing more than an attribution that can not be considered reliable. The name on the tag is that of a swordsmith of average ability. If the nakago is signed, please post a picture of it with the tang vertical with the top being towards the cutting edge and the bottom with the butt end at the bottom.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Bob. I attempted to remove the handle in the proper fashion but after popping it loose , it wouldn't go any further. Since I don't own this as of now, I didn't want to risk any damage.
    I was afraid there might be another hole in the tang that is hidden as these older blades sometimes have ( possibly under the menuki?) oh well, I have since returned the katana, but I still have access to it.

I appreciate your help Mr. C.
    Thanks,
    Dean.

Quote by Dean View Post
    Thanks Bob. I attempted to remove the handle in the proper fashion but after popping it loose , it wouldn't go any further. Since I don't own this as of now, I didn't want to risk any damage.
    I was afraid there might be another hole in the tang that is hidden as these older blades sometimes have. I appreciate your help Mr. C.
    Dean.
    Hello Dean,
    Even if there is another hole or two, there will not be another peg. They only indicate that it has been remounted in a newer handle.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks . I can understanding that. I am just confused as to what might be holding it back. The handle should slide off after popping it loose. Possibly corrosion? Hmm..I'm perplexed.
    I like the character of this blade for some reason.. Possibly it's the straight temper line, or Yaki-zume.

If you have seen tangs of other swords posted for information, you will realise that there is always some form of rust in there. The older the sword, I would expect, the more rust.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

That makes sense, but what is the solution for this predicament? Without getting too invasive, that is..WD-40? That scares me to think it would stain .

Thanks again for your help. I'm off to bed now

Thank you,
    Dean.

Quote by Dean View Post
    That makes sense, but what is the solution for this predicament? Without getting too invasive, that is..WD-40? That scares me to think it would stain .

Thanks again for your help. I'm off to bed now

Thank you,
    Dean.
    That would be a BIG NO!
    I would try to gently wiggle it and slowly work it free.
    Ralph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast