Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea Unit Tag And Papers

Article about: I picked this tag up a few years back and thought I would post it. What got my interest was the number 4 instead of the typical style 四 that I usually see on tags. It came attached to

Default Sea Unit Tag And Papers

I picked this tag up a few years back and thought I would post it. What got my interest was the number 4 instead of the typical style 四 that I usually see on tags. It came attached to a pouch stuffed with what I thinking are prayer papers. It was on eBay with other items that came out of the Philippines.Sea Unit Tag And PapersSea Unit Tag And PapersSea Unit Tag And PapersSea Unit Tag And Papers

神仏祈願
    Shin-Butsu Kigan
    Shinto-Buddhist Prayer

敵彈除け 御守
    Tekidan Noke Omamori
    Talisman to Protect Against the Enemys Bullet

サムハラ
    Sa-Mu-Ha-Ra
    From the Samuhara Jinja; started in 1935 when Tanaka Tomisaburō (1868–1967) rebuilt a dilapidated shrine in Okayama. The "kanji" are made-up and you cannot make them using a computer. The best thing I can do is to post an image.

3. A Samuhara prayer flyer ... or info about the Samuhara religion. The Sa-Mu-Ha-Ra charm and chant is to protect the wearer from enemy bullets. See the period advertisement I found on the internet.

臨兵闘者 [りんぴょうとうしゃ Rinpou Dousha]
    皆陣 [かいじん Kai Jin]
    裂在前 [れつざいぜん Retsu Sai Sen]
    This is the "nine cuts mudra" (mudra: hand posture which forms a part of Hindu prayer); exorcism-purification spell. You might have heard of it as "Kuji-Kiri", Cutting the 9 Kanji; you often see Ninja use these power signs in movies. These are still taught in Esoteric Buddhism, as well as some of the Koryu [old school] martial arts such as Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu. Refer to the illustration below.

• () Rin – Power
    • () Hyo/Pyo – Energy
    • () Toh – Harmony
    • () Sha – Healing
    • () Kai – Intuition
    • () Jin – Awareness
    • () Retsu – Dimension
    • () Zai – Creation
    • () Zen – Absolute

[4 Lines of Sanscrit]

天王命勝 [Heavenly God Life Victory
    龍虎 Dragon & Tiger [hero; fire & water; east & west]
    *水日月 [Dunno about this one: *Water Day Month]

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sea Unit Tag And Papers   Sea Unit Tag And Papers  

Attached Images Attached Images Sea Unit Tag And Papers 

Thanks Guy. This soldier must have really kept them close to his heart.

I wouldn’t mind making a necklace or bracelet with this etched into it.
    (臨) Rin – Power
    (兵) Hyo/Pyo – Energy
    (闘) Toh – Harmony
    (者) Sha – Healing
    (皆) Kai – Intuition
    (陣) Jin – Awareness
    (列) Retsu – Dimension
    (在) Zai – Creation
    (前) Zen – Absolute

I think a lot of people in this world need it.

Muddyboots, good that you wrote me to confirm the identity of the unit that had that disc, as the info you have is not totally accurate. The truth, you will be happy to learn, is somewhat more sexier.

The unit number 16706 will be identified as belonging to the 1機輸本 in the code listing、which may look like a mundane transport troop HQ. The full name of the unit was 第1機動隊輸送隊本部, literally translating into "HQ of the First Rapid Troop Transport Unit". They, too, were designed to conduct Normandy-type amphibious mass landings. This unit was established on 28th December 1943 along with 5 Rapid Transport Companies 機動隊輸送中隊, which came under its command. Those companies were all equipped with SS-class Landing ships.SS-class landing ship - Wikipedia

Your tag belonged to the 4th Company and they were running SS No.5, sunk on 30th Nov. 1944.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Muddyboots, good that you wrote me to confirm the identity of the unit that had that disc, as the info you have is not totally accurate. The truth, you will be happy to learn, is somewhat more sexier.

The unit number 16706 will be identified as belonging to the 1機輸本 in the code listing、which may look like a mundane transport troop HQ. The full name of the unit was 第1機動隊輸送隊本部, literally translating into "HQ of the First Rapid Troop Transport Unit". They, too, were designed to conduct Normandy-type amphibious mass landings. This unit was established on 28th December 1943 along with 5 Rapid Transport Companies 機動隊輸送中隊, which came under its command. Those companies were all equipped with SS-class Landing ships.SS-class landing ship - Wikipedia

Your tag belonged to the 4th Company and they were running SS No.5, sunk on 30th Nov. 1944.
    Thanks Nick for the more detailed information. I know there was a discussion on identifying these tags more accurately and the title you mentioned came up along with others. These units are very interesting and something that isn’t brought up that often. Thanks Nick

The ship was sunk by U.S. aircraft near Masbate Island Philippines.

Only 55 members made it to shore after the sinking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sea Unit Tag And Papers  

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Only 55 members made it to shore after the sinking.
    Thanks Nick I was trying too track down the the location of the sinking last night with no luck, or I just didn’t find it in the time I put in. From what I have looked at these ships had a complement of 40 men and 5 tanks and a 170 troops. I wonder if it had a full load of troops when it was attacked and sank.

Rod
    ?

Here are a couple of links to sites that may be of interest in the event you haven't seen them yet:

The Imperial Japanese Navy Page | Nihon Kaigun

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

If you search "Japanese" on the wreck site you get the resting locations of a number of smaller WW2 craft.

"WRECK site" link seems to work fine in spite of showing up as forbidden. Apologies if anyone has trouble connecting to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast