Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903

Article about: I am very excited to be able to share a very rare variation of the Second Pattern Senior Forestry officials Model 1903 Dirk.This is a very unusual curved saya variation and the piece is equi

Of course, wearing pure samurai swords even from the 18th Century or whatever was allowed with official blessings from the Ministry of War, because of the sword shortage . I have written all that already. Adding a Mon is the same as writing your name on it, nothing unusual at all. And an officer adding a personal touch by changing the Tsuba is also nothing, as officers had immunity to the peer pressure that plagued enlisted men.

What we are talking about here is changing an insignia of rank on a dagger like a Lt. deciding to wear a Major's boards.

Ok, thanks! Looks like I need to start getting educated on dirks and their culture. I haven't studied them at all.

I am hoping this thread will help us all Bruce, I myself would be interested in joining that club! I dont think until recently it has been a widely visited topic at least in the way German daggers have been studied. I really never knew there were as many variations beside the standard Naval dirks until I picked up the Fuller and Gregory book.I am sure as with all studies more information will come to light and I certainly appreciate all the input from everyone Looking forward to hopefully being able to solve this mystery. Regards,Geoff

Well..a friend of mine gave me a lead last night and I thought I would throw it out there in the hopes someone might have a copy of a book called "Japanese pattern dirks" by the late Ken Banks I was told there was some info that may be helpful Again one has to wonder if it is fact or just conjecture.Unfortunately the book is out of print and VERY difficult to find anywhere.All help appreciated.Regards,Geoff

Default Dirk

Geoff-
    Ken was a friend of mine. He presented me with a copy of his book about a year before he died. The images are quite good and remind me of the ones that you produce! Is there anything that you need from the book? Let me know and I should be able to help you out. The book is primarily about photographs, however, and not a lot in the way of research. There is a short explanation listed below each image.....

Regards,

MichaelB

Hello Dr.Mike,Thank you for your very kind words and offer! If it would be possible to get a scan of anything at all resembling the type of dirk this thread is about I would greatly appreciate it. Although I have never seen anything but the cover I am sure the photographs are very valuable as reference material.Perhaps there is a clue somewhere to lead in the right direction.I think people who have a genuine interest in the hobby are happy to share their knowledge and I am sure Ken would be happy to know that his book was being put to good use! Best regards,Geoff

Geoff-
    Sending you a PM as we speak...

Best,

Mike

Thanks to the Great generosity of a friend I was able to borrow this difficult to find book to obtain the scans to continue my quest.Although the Author lost his battle
    with cancer, his love of the hobby can still be shared with others and I think he would be happy to know his book and images are continuing to move our knowledge forward.I have decided to post four scans that most closely resemble the dagger we have been discussing.There are obvious differences but perhaps it will give a more solid direction to investigate.To be totally honest,I never realized there was such a variety of dirks worn during the Meji and Showa periods.I find it quite interesting and due to my lack of knowledge I will use the title the author originally put with the images.He openly states "This book is not meant to be scholarly or definitive" but it does show many variations of dirks I never knew existed.Again any comments theories or suggestions on how to find out what organization this dirk
    belonged to are welcomed! Regards,Geoff

Forester's Dirk (Ministry)- Second Pattern (1903)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903  

Junior Forester's Dirk (Ministry) Second Pattern (1903)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903  

Senior Forester's Dirk (Ministry) Second Pattern (1903)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast