Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903

Article about: I am very excited to be able to share a very rare variation of the Second Pattern Senior Forestry officials Model 1903 Dirk.This is a very unusual curved saya variation and the piece is equi

Default Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903

I am very excited to be able to share a very rare variation of the Second Pattern Senior Forestry officials Model 1903 Dirk.This is a very unusual curved saya variation and the piece is equipped with a Mumei hand forged blade and shagreen covered saya. There is not much information easily available regarding this entity.
    I am hoping someone with more knowledge can help elaborate and shed some additional light on this organization. From what I have been able to find apparently
    they were under the control of The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.Beyond this, there is not much information. At the time of Fuller and Gregory's Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks printing, the marking on the cross-guard was attributed as unknown but it appears to be the Suya "Harp" stamp.I was also lucky enough to obtain what I believe is the original registration paperwork for this piece.Perhaps one of our talented translators would be kind enough to confirm or dismiss this.
    I hope we can all learn something about this seldom heard of organization! Any info appreciated.Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903   Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903  

Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903   Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903  

Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903   Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903  

Type: 短刀
    Tanto

Length 長さ: 六寸九分五厘
    6 sun 9 bu 5 rin
    21.060029cm
    8.29135 in

Sori 反り: 五厘
    5 rin
    0.151511cm
    0.05965 in

Holes 穴: 一

Signature 銘: 無名
    Mumei - unsigned

Registered on 19 October, 1951 .... exactly one year before I was born.
    昭和二六年十月十九日
    Showa 26 Year 10th Month 19th day.

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 06-05-2016 at 10:09 PM.

that's very nice.

That is a beauty! Thank you for sharing!

?

A very nice dagger / tanto.

Default Dagger

Geoff-
    I had never heard of this organization in Japan. Very interesting.

MichaelB

Default 林務官短剣

All I could find was this in Japanese:

帝室林野局林務官または農林省の林務官短剣(判任官)です。
    帝室林野局は戦後に農林省林野局に移管しましたがこれ等の
    林務官(判任官)佩用していた短剣で制服を来て逮捕特権を持
    ちました。現在でも所謂、営林署…今は森林管理署と謂います。
    これら森林管理センターの職員など特別司法警察職員としての
    指定を受けた職員が、通常業務の傍ら犯罪捜査に携わっていま
    す。絶対数が全国で森林管理局署勤務の農林水産事務官及農
    林水産技官」の中で特に指名された者としては人数が少なく二千
    名強と謂います。

現在ですら二千名~二千数百名しか居りません。戦前は
    もっと少ない人数であったと予想されます。数ある文官官
    吏の短剣の中でも珍しい物の一つだと思います。

残念ながらオリジナルの剣吊り一環式で下の画像のものですが
    戦後に換えたのか判りませんが交換されて二環式になっていま
    す。違和感はあまりありませんが、オリジナルの方が素敵な感じ
    がするのは私だけでしょうか。

農商務省または帝室林野局の官吏である林務官。御料林、国有林の
    経営に関する業務に従事する官吏です。帝室林野局は、明治から昭
    和戦前期にかけて存在していた宮内省の外局です。宮内大臣の管轄
    下、皇室財産である御料林の管理経営を行いました。明治18年発足
    の御料局を前身とします。明治41年に帝室林野管理局として設置され
    大正13年に改称されました。敗戦後の昭和22年に帝室林野管理局は
    廃止されました。

下の写真がオリジナルの外装の林務官短剣

以下は別に入手した輪務官短剣(判任官)です。
    鞘も全てオリジナルのままの短剣です。刀身は模造刀。
    全長約39cm、布の刀袋と皮のグルメットと一緒に保管さ
    れたままだったとの事です。鞘には痛み、金具に青錆な
    どが随所に見られます。

Google-Translate (un-polished! but with a few minor fixes)
    Imperial Forest Commissioner or Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry woodman dagger (junior official).

Imperial Forestry Bureau was transferred to the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Forestry Bureau after the war, but of this, etc.

Arrest privilege to come uniforms forester (junior official) wearing were doing dagger. Even now the so-called, field office ... is now referred to as the forest management department.
    As a special judicial police officials such as these forest management center staff
    It received the designated staff, now engaged in beside criminal investigation of the ordinary course of business. Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries secretary of the absolute number of forest management stations police work in the nation
    Forestry Fisheries technical officials "two less number of people thousand is as a person that has been especially appointed.

There are only two thousand - two thousand one-hundred now. Before World War II
    It is expected to have been more small number of people. Number some civilian personnel officer
    I think that it is one of the rare ones among the officers of the dagger.

[Talking about one of the images] Unfortunately, a thing of the original sword hanging part of the down in the type image, but
    Now has two rings and does not know what was changed after the war are exchanged
    It is. Discomfort does not have much, but I feel nice it is more of the original
    The will is or would just me.

Woodman is an official of the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce or Imperial Forestry Bureau. Goryorin, state-owned forests
    Business is to engage officials about. Imperial Forest Service station, Akira from Meiji
    Wasen is affiliated agency of the Imperial Household Agency that existed over the previous fiscal year. Jurisdiction of Miyauchi minister

Below photo, Goryorin manager dagger is a property of the Imperial Household. Inauguration 1885
    And the predecessor of Goryo stations. It is installed as Imperial Forestry Administration in 1908
    It was renamed in 1924. Imperial Forestry Administration in 1947 after defeat It has been abolished.

The original exterior of the woodman dagger is the photo below

The following is a Hanawa Tsutomu-kan dagger (junior official) obtained separately.
    All sheath is also a dagger of the remains of the original. Blade is imitation sword.
    It is kept with the total length of about 39cm, sword bag and the skin of cloth
    It is of that it was remains. The sheath aches, the fittings have green rust [verdigris]
    Etc. it can be seen everywhere.

[Ouch! That HURT!!!]

SOURCE
    There are various examples of the Forestry Dagger shown on the source link, be certain you word search 林務官短剣.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903  
    Last edited by ghp95134; 06-06-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to Upload Image Per WRF SOP

Thank you very much for the link Guy! In reading through, would the term " Hanawa Tsutomukan" be the correct Japanese name for the organization? I can't help wondering if this organization was under jurisdiction of the police ?? if so it would seem like it would have the police emblem rather than the cherry blossom as the Mekugi?? Am I just lost in the translation? I'm really at a loss.. the only reason I knew this dirk existed was the limited info in the Fuller and Gregory book.Regards,Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I couldn' find a translation for Hanawa Tsutoum-kan, but that means some sort of official. The name of the dagger, per that page (and maybe not official), is 林務官短剣 Rinmu-kan tanken, tanken -- as you know -- meaning dagger.

We just need to whisper...... [Nick .... HELP!!!!!] (^____^)

Cheers!
    --Guy

Sorry, was busy writing the flag story. I am not sure what that dagger is, as the new uniform regs for Forestry Officials dated 1903 December 28th show the following with a different scabbard configuration.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Second Pattern Senior Forestry Officials Model 1903  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast