Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Second World War Japanese Flag

Article about: I hate asking for help, but here I go, lol. I know absolutely nothing about Japanese militaria, and a "friend" asked for some help, which I'm unable to do. His uncle, who is still

Default Second World War Japanese Flag

I hate asking for help, but here I go, lol. I know absolutely nothing about Japanese militaria, and a "friend" asked for some help, which I'm unable to do. His uncle, who is still alive actually, has recently given him several items which included a Japanese flag and sword. Here is the flag. It is not one of the norm, I think, and I've personally never seen such an example. He and myself would be very grateful for any help. Images to follow...
    Second World War Japanese FlagSecond World War Japanese FlagSecond World War Japanese FlagSecond World War Japanese Flag

No clue....but I Like it!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi,

That is a nice war-time period flag.

Translation as follows (From right to left) :

大日本國防婦人會 (Dai Nippon Koku-bou Fujinn Kai) - Great Japan National Defense Women's Association.

朝田分會 (Asada Bunn Kai) - Asada Branch

Hope they help.

Regards,
    Taka

Here are the extra info of Great Japan National Defense Women's Association (From one of the sites) :

"Great Japan National Defense Women's Association, established in October 1932 (Showa 7). The Association grew out of the Osaka National Defense Women's Association, which was formed to give send offs to troops to Manchuria after the Incident, and to welcome them on their return. Its slogan was "National Defense Starts in the Kitchen," featuring a woman wearing a cook's apron, with a cord tying up the sleeves. Under the guidance of the military, the Great Japan National Defense Women's Association grew in size thanks to activities carried out mainly by housewives and working women, such as raising money for national defense, recycling discarded goods, and collecting other donations. By 1942 (Showa 17), when it was finally absorbed into the Great Japan Women's Association, the membership of the group had reached some 10 million."

Based on the above statement in yellow, the above flag was produced between 1932 ~ 1942.

Regards,
    Taka

Thank you so very much, Taka. I will pass the information onto the owner!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    No clue....but I Like it!
    Thanks bud, I, too, like it. He says, which I partially believe, he inquired this from his Uncle who "took it off a Japanese officer he killed"(imagine that! That's the part I'm dubious of) and I could tell it is something that's very special to him; he severed too, and is also a police officer. Therefore, I will not be making any attempt to obtain this from him as I feel it's in its correct hands, and know how much it means to him.
    Thank you all once again for your assistance, especially you, Mr. Taka, I'm sure he will be quite interested to here what this actually is.
    Almost forgot, he has a Samurai sword too that he knows nothing about. I took a few pictures, but seeing I don't want to burden this forum with threads of "what is this" I don't think I will be posting it. However, if anyone is interested and am knowledgable in that field, please do message me and I will gladly send you pictures. I'm sure he'd be very grateful to learn anything about it as well.

Hi youthcollector1,

Glad to help ,and thank you for the compliment.

I' m not much of a sword person, but I know there are many knowledgeable people here that are able to help you and your friend.

I myself would like to express more in words, but I just don't know how, what to say or write in English sometimes. I apologize for not able to respond much.

Regards,
    Taka

Taka, not only have you been of great help to myself, in the past, I've seen you several times go above and beyond for other members by giving them an accurate, detailed analysis of their items, as well translating, too. You sir are a true asset to this forum, which is seen less than this flag, and I for one am very grateful you are here; we all are luckily to have a member such as yourself.
    As for your English, it is better than some who have it as their first language, so fear not, you do quite well for yourself in that, too.

I once saw one of those flags in a flea market in Tokyo but was unable to communicate well enough to find out what it is...same market i almost got a cherry blossom helmet from...thanks for the info

?

I suggest that you go ahead with starting a new thread for posting photos of your sword. I have some knowledge in some areas of sword study as do others here and would be pleased to assist. We enjoy the swords and it will be a good learning experience for you too with any luck.

Regards,
    Stu