Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking information on yard sale katana

Article about: Hello all I purchased this katana at a yard sale last July, and thought i'd share it with you. Sadly to say this is all that is left of it, it must have been a real beauty in its day. To bri

Default Seeking information on yard sale katana

Hello all

I purchased this katana at a yard sale last July, and thought i'd share it with you. Sadly to say this is all that is left of it, it must have been a real beauty in its day. To brighten it up, i did get the name of the WWII vet that brought this back to the states, i purchased it from his niece. I would like to ask for a translation of the kanji found on both sides of the tang.
    Any information about this sword is greatly appreciated.

Take care, Mart

Seeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katana
    Last edited by Martin C; 08-06-2019 at 02:07 AM.

MAP
    ?

Mart,

Can't help you with the Kanji or info on the blade itself, but the guys are really going to want to see much brighter pictures. Especially of the blade itself.

Looking forward to seeing what you have.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello Mart,

Interesting piece you have there. Much better photos of the full tang are required. Don't crop them. We want to see from the notch right down to the bottom. I'm looking forward to learning more about this blade.

Regards,
    Stu

Michael

Thanks, i will try to post better pictures tomorrow when the light is better. Note, i also purchased my first digital camera last week.
    I know i need do a better job, but the suspense was killing me! Mart

?

Oh Yes! please more pic's. That dark tang looks very promising.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

It has also been remounted due to the one meguki hole being plugged previously.
    Looking forward to more, clearer, photos.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

And the suspense builds.......
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An interesting blade made by Mihawa Masanao, a smith whpo worked in the Taisho Period. The blade is dated Taisho San Nen Hachi Gatsu Hi or the third year of Taisho, August which would be 1914. Thyis would be a very early smith working after the hatori which banned sword forging. Blades from this era usually show some weakness due to the lack of continuing study due to the ban. It was an era of learning and refining.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi Bob,

Do you have a source that would give the age of Mihawa Masanao at the time he made this blade?

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Bob,

Do you have a source that would give the age of Mihawa Masanao at the time he made this blade?

Regards,
    Stu
    I can see if it is in the Nihonto Meikan. It will not get done likely until Tuesday as tomorow will be consumed with plowing out from today's snow.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast