Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Senninbari Vest

Article about: This is a senninbari vest that I recently owned. I am posting here as it is one of the nicest of it type that I have encountered. These vests are normally seen un-stitched, therefore are not

Default Senninbari Vest

This is a senninbari vest that I recently owned. I am posting here as it is one of the nicest of its type that I have encountered. These vests are normally seen un-stitched, and are therefore not senninbari. Companies sometimes gave these out as gifts, or they might be privately purchased. Photographs of these (I think Jareth posted examples of a few in an older thread), normally show soldiers wearing them underneath their service tunics, on the outer side of their undershirts. Once the vest was obtained, it was sometimes stitched on the reverse by adding red knots that replicated the rays of the battle flag. A few were then signed in various ways; normally you see a name, slogan, or the popular Lotus Sutra written across the front or back. I think that they are quite beautiful and are rather tough to find. The slogan says, Ki Buun Chokyu or "I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting". It appears that the vest was given to Koichi Hasegawa by his friend Ota. MichaelBSenninbari VestSenninbari Vest
    Last edited by MichaelB; 05-01-2017 at 12:13 AM.

I forgot to mention that these white cotton/linen vests appear to have been a fairly common item worn by the military, especially during the early days in China. These are sometimes the same type that were converted into Senninriki by adding the "Power" charcter across the front and back. The sun on this particular example is not printed on the white background rather it has been cut-out and sewn onto the material.
    MichaelB

?

Here you go Mike! Nice vest !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Senninbari Vest  
    Attached Images Attached Images Senninbari Vest 

Beautiful vest Mike! It must have made its owner feel very confidant! and well protected! Regards,Geoff

MAP
    ?

Very nice Michael! Thanks for showing such a fine example
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hey Mike,I was just wondering if it was regulation to wear these types of vests to be worn "Under" the tunic or if it was permitted to wear them on the outside the tunic if there was an enemy engagement??

Regards,Geoff

Mike ,Thank you very much for sharing.What a beautiful vest. A soldier must have been very proud and confidant to wear such a beautiful Amulet.What a Beautiful gift. Koichi Hasegawa Was a very good friend.

Hi Geoff-
    Sorry for having taken so long to reply to this thread. My son recently graduated from college back east, and the entire family spent a few weeks there celebrating. A number of relatives live nearby, so we had an "old home" week(s)!
    Yes, most of the images that I have seen of these vests show them visible generally when the men stop and shed their outer coats and jackets (a la like the ones that Jareth posted). The vests seem to be worn primarily over the undershirt, although I have seen images showing heavier vests being worn as outer garments. I have one example that is made from a very heavy material. It is dark green on the outside and looks rather plain until you examine the inside. The inner layer of white cloth has quite a few temple/shrine stamps impressed upon it, and a fairly uniform pattern of knots/stitching.
    As an aside, you would think that the bright red sunburst would make an excellent target and you are probably correct. That is why most of these were probably worn underneath the jacket. I have, however, seen senninbari hat covers that take the form of the Japanese national flag. These were worn on the outside of the visor hat completely covering it like the white cover over a blue navy visor hat. They would indeed seem to make a very nice "bullseye" as well.....! Yes, I agree that this vest's owner had a good friend in Ota!

MichaelB