Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Shin Gunto

Article about: Here is a few photographs .Please could I have some opinions on it.Many Thanks

?

Default Shin Gunto

Here is a few photographs .Please could I have some opinions on it.Many Thanks

Default Re: Shin Gunto

A nice period army officer's sword. Have you removed the handle? If so, please post pictures of the tang of the blade. What else would you like to know?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Ah Good .Thank You Bob. I was hoping for Your input in particular. I have recently aquired this.As best I know the handle has never been removed from this sword (nor have I done it myself).At a first glance It is completely lacking in any arsenal marks or stampings. The tsuba is identical to one that some one else posted on here.Would this be an early 1940s manufactured sword?

Without seeing the sword's tang, it is impossible to date your sword from the images you have posted. The openwork tsuba is indicitive of an earlier model of this mounting. Is the area just above the habaki(the collar between the guard and the cutting edge)dull or sharp in the first inch or so?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.