Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Shin Gunto Naval Ground Sword Info Needed

Article about: Hello, I have a Shin Gun to Naval sword similar to the one posted here. I have removed the everything and found the attached writing. I am hoping to identify where or who the sword came from

There is often confusion about the markings on the Nakago (Tang) of Japanese swords. Just because there are markings one cannot automatically assume the blade is a "National Treasure" made by a famous sword smith.This is not meant to downplay the swords historical merit or monetary value per se. A sword made by machine or combination of machine and hand finishing, although considered worthless by some,will have intrinsic value to those who appreciate the fact that it made as a weapon for the military and carried during the war. Other high quality blades made traditionally(hand forged) may be Unsigned,Other blades may be hundreds of years old and are of very poor quality from an artistic aspect.
    It is a truly fascinating study with so many levels should you continue to delve deeper! Often swords especially machine made blades for WWII were only signed so the maker was able to be paid for his work.In any case the sword is a very nice example! with a nice bonus of the brown scabbard (Likely a custom option) Thanks for Sharing!

Regards,Geoff

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    There is often confusion about the markings on the Nakago (Tang) of Japanese swords. Just because there are markings one cannot automatically assume the blade is a "National Treasure" made by a famous sword smith.This is not meant to downplay the swords historical merit or monetary value per se. A sword made by machine or combination of machine and hand finishing, although considered worthless by some,will have intrinsic value to those who appreciate the fact that it made as a weapon for the military and carried during the war. Other high quality blades made traditionally(hand forged) may be Unsigned,Other blades may be hundreds of years old and are of very poor quality from an artistic aspect.
    It is a truly fascinating study with so many levels should you continue to delve deeper! Often swords especially machine made blades for WWII were only signed so the maker was able to be paid for his work.In any case the sword is a very nice example! with a nice bonus of the brown scabbard (Likely a custom option) Thanks for Sharing!

Regards,Geoff
    Thanks everyone for the info... It is much appreciated. I've had the sword in my posession now for about 20 years and until I just recently got back from Japan was not fully aware what it was. I heard a story from my dad where my grandfather got it in the war but that was it. It was always reffered to as a "Samurai" sword in my family. So it's nice to now know more about it.
    Everyone on this forum is fantastic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2