Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Article about: Forum members, I have the opportunity to buy this Shin-Gunto Sword. Looking at the red-blue tassel it appears to be a Japanese officers sword. The blade length is 27 inches or 69cm. It has b

Default Officers Shin Gunto Sword

Hello Gentlemen,

Following on from my previous post, I have the Sword now in hand and can show clearer pictures of the Tang for help with the engraved markings.

As mentioned in the previous post it has the Blue+Brown Company officers tassel. It has binding to the hilt over ray skin and the tang is signed apparently by ‘Kaneyoshi’. I am told by the seller that the sword is dated ‘September 1941’, has no arsenal marks apart from a small Nagoya acceptance stamp.

Any help on the Tang would be very much appreciated. I know from the previous post (Guy) ghp95134 and Geoff Ward had looked at it, but needed clearer pictures to help further.

Thanks again,

Neil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation   Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation  

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation   Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation  

Last edited by Heer 17; 09-30-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Default Ofiicer Shin Gunto Sword - Tang Markings

I would very much like to ask the Forum Sword experts for any help and information relating to the Tang engravings on my recently purchased Shin Gunto.

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Sageo and Menuki.

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

I am told by the seller that it is signed KANEYOSHI but my friend can only see UWO YOSHI ? It is dated 1941. The seller also said it is KEISO YASURI marked on the Tang, but I do not know what that means.

Thank you for any help.

Neil
    Last edited by Heer 17; 10-01-2016 at 10:07 AM.

MAP
    ?

Please have a look here for proper ways to post the tang (yours are upside down)

They are also quite dark and hard to read.

When Posting Japanese Sword Tangs For Translation
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you MAP,

I posted the pictures thinking the tang was the blade..!!

Left Side.

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Right Side.

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Sorry and thank you again.

Neil

On further research,
    I understand on the one side is written:
    (Sho wa jyu roku nen Ku gatsu) meaning
    Year 16 (1941) September.

On the other side:
    Uwo (Fish) - Surname.
    Yoshi (moral) or can be meant as Tadashi (righteous) - first names.

So the name being either Uwo Yoshi or Uwo Tadashi.

As the family name (Uwo) has the meaning of Fish, apparently the family could have lived or have had ancestors from a coastal fishing village.

Any further help or corrections accepted.

Neil.

MAP
    ?

No worries, just trying to make it easier for the guys who can help so you can get the quickest and best answer.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

兼義
    Kaneyoshi

is not to be confused with fish , although the way 兼 Kane is written, it is easy to confuse the two.

--Guy

Quote by Heer 17 View Post
    I am told by the seller that it is signed KANEYOSHI but my friend can only see UWO YOSHI ? It is dated 1941. The seller also said it is KEISO YASURI marked on the Tang, but I do not know what that means.
    Hi Neil,

Kaneyoshi 兼義 is the swordsmith's name; "Keiso yasuri" -- I think he meant "keishou".

Yasuri-me refers to the file marks on the tang. See the chart below for examples; "Keishou" means "cosmetic/make-up". Taka-no-ha is "hawk feather"; kouzutsumi is "fragrent wrap [sachet?]"; higaki is "cypress fence"; tsuchi-me is "hammered".

Cheers,
    --Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation  

Also, it is dated September 1943:

昭和十八年九月
    Shōwa jū hachi-nen ku-gatsu
    Showa 18 year, 9 month
    September, 1943

--Guy

Guy,
    That is really excellent information, thank you very much for the correction.
    Much appreciated.

Picture of the Showa date without the 'white highlight'

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Neil
    Last edited by Heer 17; 10-02-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast