Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shin Gunto Translation Please

Article about: Just acquired what appears to be a stainless steel blade shin gunto. It has no acceptance stamps nor does it have a showa stamp. One side of the tang has a nice two character signature and t

Default Shin Gunto Translation Please

Just acquired what appears to be a stainless steel blade shin gunto. It has no acceptance stamps nor does it have a showa stamp. One side of the tang has a nice two character signature and the other has about 6 chippy characters in a different hand. Can anyone translate this or tell me what I have?

Howard DennisShin Gunto Translation Please

?

昭和十八年四月
    April, Showa 18 (1943)

???宗
    ??? Shuu (name of the maker?)

?

Interesting that you would find a stainless blade in Shin-gunto mounts. Not unheard of, but more often found in Kai-gunto. Would you mind posting photos of the entire sword?

Regards,
    Stu

Thanks, on another site a matching signature was found for a smith named Kiribuchi Kanemune.

兼宗 : 刀剣ライブラリム¼

Can anyone read what if anything this site says about the smith or the steel in this sword?

Howard Dennis

Stu, I'll try and post pictures soon. it looks identical in all aspects to the one shown on the Japanese site.

Howard Dennis

Quote by hddennis View Post
    Thanks, on another site a matching signature was found for a smith named Kiribuchi Kanemune.

兼宗 : 刀剣ライブラリム¼

Can anyone read what if anything this site says about the smith or the steel in this sword?

Howard Dennis
    本名桐淵一、群馬県出身、陸軍受命刀工。本刀剣は兼宗刀匠25歳の作です。本軍陣刀は第2次世界大戦が激戦 になってきた時の昭和18年に作られた刀です。軍陣刀の消耗も大変激しく、刀匠たちは日夜軍陣刀を命をかけ て製作しておりました。本軍陣刀もお国に命を懸けて護国の盾となるべき武士である軍人の為に作られた武勲の 名刀です。時代の軍陣刀をお楽しみくださいませ。

Honmyō Kiribuchi ichi, Gunma ken shusshin, rikugun jumei tōkō. Hon tōken wa Kanemune tōshō 25-sai no sakudesu. Hon gunjin-gatana wa dai 2 jisekaitaisen ga gekisen ni natte kita toki no Shōwa 18-nen ni tsukura reta katanadesu. Gunjin-gatana no shōmō mo taihen hageshiku, tōshō-tachi wa nichiya gunjin-gatana o inochi o kakete seisaku shite orimashita. Hon gunjin-gatana mo o kuni ni inochi o kakete gokoku no tate to narubeki bushidearu gunjin no tame ni tsukura reta bukun no meitōdesu. Jidai no gunjin-gatana o o-tanoshimi kudasaimase.

Quote by Google Translate with SLIGHT editing by me
    Real name is Kiribuchi Hitoshi and he was from Gunma Prefecture; Army commissioned swordsmith. The sword is the work of the 25-year-old swordsmith Kiribuchi. This army combat sword was made ​​in 1943 when the Second World War has become fierce battle. Consumption of battlefield sword is also very violently, swordsmith who had been produced over the life the battlefield sword day and night. This battlefield sword is also celebrated sword of deeds of arms made ​​for the military is a warrior should be the shield of Gokoku at the risk of one's life to your country. Please enjoy the battlefield sword of age.
    --Guy

Thanks Guy, one site says this smith started his apprenticeship in 1930. If both sites are correct, he started at 12 years old.
    Does anyone know if that was normal to start that young?

Howard Dennis

Here is a good site on Japanese swordsmiths ranking.

Which he is catagorized under 中下作 (CHUGE SAKU) - Middle low rank.

WWII Japanese Swordsmiths

Taka

Here's some pictures, I hope. Shin Gunto Translation PleaseShin Gunto Translation PleaseShin Gunto Translation PleaseShin Gunto Translation PleaseShin Gunto Translation PleaseShin Gunto Translation Please

Jimoko
    ?

Shin Gunto Translation PleaseShin Gunto Translation PleaseI've just joined, not sure how to start new thread. I've just bought this sword. I think it's Shin Gunto type 94. I'm interested in opinions - have I got this right? Also what does the Kanji say?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast