Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Signed Cotton Japanese Hinomaru Flag translation assistance request

Article about: Hello, I would be grateful if someone could translate this flag. Hoping to translate a name on the flag to whom it was given and any dates (years). Not sure if it is IJA (Army) or IJN (Navy)

Default Signed Cotton Japanese Hinomaru Flag translation assistance request

Hello,

I would be grateful if someone could translate this flag. Hoping to translate a name on the flag to whom it was given, slogans and any dates (years). Not sure if it is IJA (Army) or IJN (Navy). Any assistance and information is appreciated.

I would like to personally Thank Nick Komiya and the other members who've helped me in the past with flags and other Misc items. This forum is one of the most valuable resources for militaria and history -Please become a member to support the forum.

Thanks

FLAG FRONT

FLAG BACK

CLICK TO ZOOM FLAG FRONT
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-23-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Unfortunately the name of the one given the flag is not mentioned, but it is almost certain that his family name was Sakai, as 90% of the people signing are from the Sakai family. Many put the character for power above their names and the man at the 5 o'clock position also mentions he was born on the year of the tiger, which was supposed to be lucky. A woman born on the year of the tiger would have had to sew as many knots on a Senninbari as her age, instead of just one for normal women but this man got away without having to do anything special.
    At 4 o'clock is the Buddhist chant "Nanmyo Hohren Gehkyo", something that Tina Turner, also a Buddhist is often caught chanting.

Thanks for the quick reply Nick! Great information.