MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Silk Amulet for Protection

Article about: Hi everyone! Its been a good week for me this week.I dropped my tiger senninbari off at the framing shop today and am excited to see it mounted.Hopefully it wont take it too long.It cost a l

Default Silk Amulet for Protection

Hi everyone! Its been a good week for me this week.I dropped my tiger senninbari off at the framing shop today and am excited to see it mounted.Hopefully it wont take it too long.It cost a little more but I went ahead and did it with all archival materials.At least it will be around for someone else to enjoy someday.I cant afford to do the other piece I picked up for a little while,but I thought I would post some pics in hopes one of our excellent translators happens to be up late!This silk amulet is an amulet for protection and includes the traditional phrase and a beautifully done drawing of a tiger.I was hoping to learn the name of the recipient as well as the artist.I find it amazing that someone could paint in black ink on white silk without it bleeding all over the material or making a mistake.They were a very talented person!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Silk Amulet for Protection   Silk Amulet for Protection  

Silk Amulet for Protection  

?

That's a beautiful piece of artwork Geoff, from Mike if I'm not mistaken.

He has some nice pieces available and is great to deal with.

I recently bought a large omamori group from him.

Regards

Russ

You are correct Russ,That was one heck of a grouping you got! Awesome items!

Best Regards,

Geoff

?

Thanks Geoff, yes, I was lucky to get it!

Did you get the senninbari from Mike as well? Look forward to seeing it framed if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Regards

Russ

That is meant as a portable version of what is called Shikishi in Japanese. In Japan, a square cardboard backed Japanese paper has always been the standard and proper material used for making Yosegaki or receiving movie star autographs, and flags merely replaced Shikishi during the war as a base. Any restaurant that occasionally gets visited by famous people will have some stock of shikishi for signing and they will proudly pin these on the wall. The drawback is that they are done on stiff card stock and not portable, hence a silk version like this. Silk as a canvas for painting has long been standard in Japan. Whereas cotton is prone to bleeding, silk holds ink much better. A lot of Japanese traditional artwork was done on silk backed by paper.
    This one was presented to an Ozaki. The honorific suffix of Sensei is used, so he would have been much senior to the presenter. The artist signed his name as Kazuho, but these are rarely the real names as artists commonly use alias'

Shikishi framed and adorning a wall.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Silk Amulet for Protection  

Here is more on Shikishi. You can buy them in the US as well.

Shikishi Boards | Project Saber

Shikishi Board White with Gold Border-10 pack

Thank you very much Nick! Would it be more traditional to have this piece framed with a gold frame as seen with the Shikishi boards in the links? And yes Russ,I did acquire both pieces from Mike.

No, gold frames have nothing to do with tradition. By tradition they would not be framed at all.

Thanks Nick, let me re-phrase my question? I am curious in your opinion, in framing this piece for protection and display would there be any significance in the color gold as opposed to a plain black frame or was the color of gold symbolic or indicative of a particular etiquette in regards to art or amulets? Thanks,Geoff

No, there would be no significance in gold. Shikishi have edges banded in gold foil merely to make them look attractive to display. It also makes the board appear more precious and has a flattering "pedestal effect" to those who are asked to write upon it.

Also, the boards typically have a decorative back with flecks of gold, which gave rise to a myth that the decorative gold-speckled side is actually the obverse and the white side the back. According to this myth, someone who was asked to sign on the decorative side declined, saying out of humbleness that he was not someone that deserved to be put on such a pedestal and signed the plain white side. Thus writing on the plain side is believed to be by some as a show of humility and those with Ali-like arrogance would actually sign on the gold flecked side.

But the truth is that the plain white side is the obverse side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast