Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Small Japanese Silk Flag and Propaganda Book

Article about: Hey guys I picked this set up today and was wondering what I have here? The flag is small made of silk and measures 12 1/2 by 9 inches. I don't see where it was ever attached to anything. Th

CGR
    ?

Default Small Japanese Silk Flag and Propaganda Book

Hey guys I picked this set up today and was wondering what I have here? The flag is small made of silk and measures 12 1/2 by 9 inches. I don't see where it was ever attached to anything. The Pictorial Book is I think Propaganda as it shows pics of Sports Activities and Military Might etc kind of what Germany did. There is a pic of Hitler and other German Military Photos as well as Japanese Military but its all in Japanese. Any thoughts?

CGR
    ?

I am thinking a Parade type flag waved by a civillian at a parade perhaps given the size.

CGR
    ?

Oh well I thought it was neat, lady said they were in her Dads old Sea Bag.

It is neat indeed!
    I like it

Best regards,
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

The flag has no means of attaching to a stick for waving or hanging from a cord, so it is not that likely to be for patriotic parade cheering. It is also too large to be an ID to save Japanese pilots from being mistaken as bailing US airmen. That still leaves a wide range of wartime and postwar civilian possibilities, but it's nothing worth the energy of engaging in an open-ended guessing game.

The pictorial is a common Japanese counterpart of "Life" or "Signal" that all countries had back then. You can see all issues of a similar publication online here.

Here is a scan of a very small flag I've owned for a good number of years. The size is just over 12 inches by eight inches, it is heavily stained and with the occasional tiny hole here and there. I don't know if it is military related, but it displays very well in a bamboo frame. The edges are folded over so that it fits the frame, but one side has holes at top and bottom where it may have been pinned or tied in place with thin thread. I've absolutely no idea what the characters say, but I often speculated that it would be a good size to tie to a rifle. Click on image (twice) to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.... 'A Salford Pal: Pte Thomas Jay.'

That is a miniature Yosegaki flag, but when it gets that small, it can only suit a social recluse that had extremely few friends, as impractical for normal people as having all your friends sign good luck messages on one small business card. You also had to write with ink and brush, not suited to tiny writing, so usual Yosegaki flags are much more generous in size. There was no such thing as flags for attaching to rifles, which is only an imaginary stereotype. Some men would have indeed attached their Yosegaki flag to their rifles in their last charge, but there was no such established custom, and it was more a matter of how a person wanted to clutch onto memories of loved ones in their moment of death. Often they carried them inside the helmet instead.

CGR
    ?

Oh well, thats why I posted it to see what it may be as I don't know.
    I asked the daughter of the Vet today if he was a Marine and she said no he was a Navy CB which I know is Seabee.
    I know its nothing great and not worth the energy to most but to me it is as I have never purchased anyyhing Japanese and have thought about getting into it some.
    These were cheap so no real risk if they were junk.
    One mans junk is another mans treasure as they say.