Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

A Small Piece of History

Article about: I found this at a gun show in Ventura some years ago. Turns out it is a medal that was presented by the Japanese Navy to US sailors of the Great White Fleet when it visited Japan in 1908. Ha

Default A Small Piece of History

I found this at a gun show in Ventura some years ago. Turns out it is a medal that was presented by the Japanese Navy to US sailors of the Great White Fleet when it visited Japan in 1908. Half of the case is missing but the lid and its markings are still with it.
    I saw in a documentary where some of these were attached to the bombs of the Doolittle raiders and returned!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Small Piece of History   A Small Piece of History  

A Small Piece of History   A Small Piece of History  

Another FANTASTIC piece! I have a lovely silk trapunto from the great white fleet exploration. It s great to see that some of these items survived post Pearl Harbor.

Brian

The shop that made those still supplies the Imperial Household Silver https://www.miyamoto-shoko.com/corp/

?

Funny to think that as late as the 1920's the USN saw their main threat as an attack by the combined fleets of the Imperial navies of Britain and Japan.... How times changed.