Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Summer Trip to Japan: Yasukuni Shrine --- Dai Tō-A Sensō (The Great East Asia War) Exibition

Article about: Nice NO PHOTO sign

?

Indeed a beauty and an awesome sight.

As a nod towards the OPs avatar, its too bad that Japen doesnt have a Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden in a museum, that would have been something.

A spectacular plane, very advanced and one of my favourites.

The name alone - Magnificent Lightning! I hope the sole surviving example will be restored and put on display.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Indeed a beauty and an awesome sight.

As a nod towards the OPs avatar, its too bad that Japen doesnt have a Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden in a museum, that would have been something.

A spectacular plane, very advanced and one of my favourites.

The name alone - Magnificent Lightning! I hope the sole surviving example will be restored and put on display.
    Totally agree with you Scout-san!

Shinden is my top 3 favorite Japanese aircraft.

Me too, would like to see a fully restored Shinden.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Totally agree with you Scout-san!

Shinden is my top 3 favorite Japanese aircraft.

Me too, would like to see a fully restored Shinden.

Cheers!
    Taka

Great minds think alike

Here a heads-up for your next trip to Japan.

Speaking of good looking and very capable planes; there is a brute of an efficient plane still to be seen, should one be touring Japan

There is a N1K2-J Shiden Kai (紫電 "Violet Lightning") in a museum on the island of Shikoku.

Not the prop

The 343 Kokutai's Shiden-Kai on display in its museum on the island of Shikoku -- Ookaboo!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yup! Yup! Yup!

I hear ya, we both have the same taste.

Would like to see that beauty some day. Have you ever heard of a Japanese comic "Shidenkai No Taka"?

It got the same pronunciation as my first name.

By the way, my favorite IJA aircraft is Ki-45 Toryu "Nick".

Cheers!
    Taka

?

Yup! Yup! Yup!

I hear ya, we both have the same taste.

Would like to see that beauty some day. Have you ever heard of a Japanese comic "Shidenkai No Taka"?

It got the same pronunciation as my first name.

By the way, my favorite IJA aircraft is Ki-45 Toryu "Nick".

Cheers!
    Taka
    We do indeed!

Nope, never until now heard about the comic - but it certainly looks interesting in regards to the subject at hand.

The 'Dragon Slayer' (talk about a great name!)/Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu is also a beautiful plane.

Funny coincidence, that you mention it; I was just going over my pics from one of my trips and then and now find the plane interesting and beautiful. Was just reading about it in fact.

Here a pic, that I snapped in the Smithsonian/Udvar-Hazy of the last remaining Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu in the world.

Its seen next to the sole remaining and restored Aichi M6A Seiran, which has an absolutely fascinating history and which is also a beutiful and elegant plane (to me).

I find the Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu not only a good looking plane, but also interesting as it in some version was armed with twin obliquely-firing 20 mm Ho-5 cannons behind the cockpit to be used against bomber streams.

The Germans used this form of armament called 'Schräge Musik' (Jazz) to great effect slipping up under bombers at night on the hugely effective 'Wilde Sau' missions.

So many planes were lost at an alarming rate and the Allies had no clue as to what happened until late in the War.
    Lost planes were early on blamed on ground fire. Often bomber crews would never even themselves know, what had downed the planes or they would only find out when being fired upon and then it would be too late. A highly effective weapon over Europe and so used, that it was only after the War, that Allied forces found out to what extent the Schräge Musik missions had picked the bombers out of the night sky

A Toryu was used to mortally wound the USS Dickerson in '45 off Okinawa. The planes rammed the ship and she was later scuttled.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nick.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	612516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taka.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	612517  

Attached Images Attached Images  

?

Schäge Musik
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schräge_Musik_cannon.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	612525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schrage musik3.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	612526  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schrage musik2.jpg 
Views:	1076 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	612527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schrage musik.jpg 
Views:	982 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	612528  

The Ki-45 also known as "B-29 Killer", I am reading a book that was written by a famous Toryu Pilot - Kashide Isamu.
    Wish he is in a complete form, but what can I say to a last specimen. It also reminds me of Bf-110 G or He-219 Uhu (My favorite Luftwaffe Nacht Jäger)when you mention the "Jazz Music".

Speaking of Seiran, the famous Tamiya plastic model company' s boss likes the Seiran so much that he pay for the restoration fee! Another rear bird.

Taka

?

The Ki-45 also known as "B-29 Killer", I am reading a book that was written by a famous Toryu Pilot - Kashide Isamu.
    Wish he is in a complete form, but what can I say to a last specimen. It also reminds me of Bf-110 G or He-219 Uhu (My favorite Luftwaffe Nacht Jäger)when you mention the "Jazz Music".

Speaking of Seiran, the famous Tamiya plastic model company' s boss likes the Seiran so much that he pay for the restoration fee! Another rear bird.

Taka
    Speaking of the 'UHU' - on one of my trips to the Udvar-Hazy, I noticed a German plane having several (5-7) persons all clad in white protective coveralls and white gloves all over the plane recording every part of the plane in minute detail inside and out with cutting edge cameras.

A curator was standing nearby. I asked him, what was going on and we struck up a lengthy conversation.

As it happened, the curator was one of the head honchos of the Smithsonian and he told me, amongst other interesting plane info, that the gentlemen were from a Japanese modellers magazine and were recording the plane for the magazine.

It not only struck me, how dedicated and careful they were, but also from the fact that they were actually crawling in and on the plane, that the plane modelling industry (magazines and scale plane manufacturers) are taken very seriously and that their word must carry quite some weight, when they are allowed to actually be all over - literally - the last remaining example of a German Heinkel He 219 Uhu!!

The UHU is also a favourite of mine as is the Dorner 'PFEIL.'

?

You might find this interesting - I know I found the site absolutely fascinating:

Walkarounds of Japanese planes - amongst them the Shinden....and the Toryu

Toryu - Mike Swinburne
    Photos of the NASM "Nick" Cockpit

Toryu - Tim Hortman
    Tim Hortman's Garber Ki-45Kai

Shinden - Tim Hortman
    Tim Hortman's Garber J7W1

Shinden - Ted Bradstreet
    Ted Bradstreet's J7W1 Contribution

Shinden - Scott Hackney
    Garber J7W1

Main page - lots of interesting planes here! MItsubishi/Nakajimas, Kawanishis et al.
    Walkarounds (Real Japanese Aircraft Photos)

Those are neat photos, I haven't visit that site for a long time!

Thank you for posting them.

Before a military collector, I was a plastic model "collector". My favorite scale is 1/72 because you can compare different planes with this scale and they are easy to built.
    I learned lots of warbirds through modeling, and reading books about them, great times. Was a "Warbird Maniac" at that time, lol.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast