Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sword inscrption....real ,fake ?? Id any ifo greatfully recieved...

Article about: Hi Steve , this is not a Chinese repro . It looks like a pre WW2 blade , the tang looks to have genuine age and note the three mekugi . These show that the sword has been fitted with new or

?

Hi Steve , this is not a Chinese repro . It looks like a pre WW2 blade , the tang looks to have genuine age and note the three mekugi . These show that the sword has been fitted with new or different Tsukas in it's life ( the menuki have been removed from under the wrap ) The fittings and Tsuba are quite low grade and you can see the "wedges" inserted in the Tsuba to suit the tang. It looks like the seppa have been messed with also though but possibly a while ago . The leather scabbard combat cover looks period .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Concur. [Edit: concur with Steve and Alan, posts # 10 & 11.]

--Guy

I would add that, based on position of the name, it's highly probable the bottom hole was a "reserve hole" for a second pin. The blade might have been shortened once, thus the second hole at the top end.

If this is an older blade and originally was much longer, I guess it's possible for the bottom hole to have been the original mekugi ana ... but that would mean the signature was made after the blade was shortened.

Just my random thoughts; by no means definitive nor expert.

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 10-23-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: speling wuz baad; grammar, too!

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    It is not Chinese.
    It is an old blade in semi military mounts.
    I tend to agree. The sekigane in the tsuba, three hole nakago and degree of sori all lead me to think ancestral blade re-mounted for war rather than Chinese fake.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    It's not military issue, the leather cover on the scabbard would make a person lean to thinking military. I feel that it is a Chinese reproducing, my opinion only. Not up to the Japanese standards even for late war swords. Marty
    With all due respect, this is an Edo period katana that has been shortened in cutting edge evidenced by the additional hole above the mei. This is an easy opinion basded on the photographs. The signature is well cut and likely correct. A hands on inspection is required to define a time frame and school of the swordsmith. May I suggest a bit of study should be done before proclaiming an item a Chinese fake.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12