Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sword tang markings

Article about: Hi Guys, could someone kindly do a translation for me. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Ade.

Default Sword tang markings

Hi Guys, could someone kindly do a translation for me.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword tang markings  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

兼直(Kanenao)作(Made)
    Made by sword smith,兼直(Kanenao)but not sure which generation though.

?

Ade , has that tang been coated with something or is it just the pic ..it looks a bit shiney !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hi , many thanks!

Hi Alan, the sword came into work last week.

It was brought home by a former Officer of 7th Gurhka Rifles. His daughter also brought in a nice Art Deco cigarette box, some insignia and some photos of him.

The tang looks like it has been varnished ! to me.

The sword lacks the grip bindings and the release catch. The bonus is it has a leather cover for the grip though. Blade needs some work but nothing that could not be done. Nice leather covered scabbard.

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thats a real pity about the tang being coated ...probably thought they were preserving it in some way !! Looks to be an old blade .
    REGARDS AL

I will do some photos in due course of the rest of the blade etc.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi , many thanks!

Hi Alan, the sword came into work last week.

It was brought home by a former Officer of 7th Gurhka Rifles. His daughter also brought in a nice Art Deco cigarette box, some insignia and some photos of him.

The tang looks like it has been varnished ! to me.

The sword lacks the grip bindings and the release catch. The bonus is it has a leather cover for the grip though. Blade needs some work but nothing that could not be done. Nice leather covered scabbard.

Cheers, Ade
    Hi Ade,
    The varnish can be removed with some sort of thinners without removing the old tang rust.
    Depending on which type, I may have a spare catch release. I will wait to see the rest of the photos.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I now have the vendors OK to remove whatever it is on the tang.

?

I cannot advise on the removal of whatever is on the tang Ade , but look forward to seeing pics of the blade .
    REGARDS AL

Sadly for us, the lady has changed her mind and now decided to not to sell the sword. She collected it yesterday, so I cannot add any other pics. Bit disappointed but in another way glad she is keeping a memento of her Dad's service.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast