Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tiger Senninbari

Article about: Hello all,I just received my eagerly awaited package today containing the second senninbari in my collection.Most of you are familiar with the Hinomaru Yosigaki or "Good Luck" flag

Default Tiger Senninbari

Hello all,I just received my eagerly awaited package today containing the second senninbari in my collection.Most of you are familiar with the Hinomaru Yosigaki or "Good Luck" flags carried into battle by Japanese soldiers. Encountered a little less often are the Senninbari or "One-thousand stitch" belts. This belt is a little more elaborate than most as it has a 5 sen coin attached and a hand done image of a tiger as well as the knots.The tiger was an inspiration to fight fiercely in battle and was also viewed as travelling long distances seeking its prey and always returning home safely.In Japanese lore the tiger was also considered a messenger to the Gods.Intended to protect the wearer, each knot made the belt more powerful until it finally reached the number 1000. Usually made by a wife, mother or other female family member, the women would often gather knots from other women in the neighborhood,or at bus and train stations in the community. Each knot was done by a different person so it was quite a task to obtain the required 1000 stitches.Unfortunately in many instances,1000 stitches just not enough...Due to the fact this piece does not have tie strings it was most likely carried in a pack or inside the soldiers helmet liner.Although beautiful, to me it is a sobering reminder of the price of war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tiger Senninbari   Tiger Senninbari  

Tiger Senninbari   Tiger Senninbari  

Tiger Senninbari  

It was not totally correct to say that it was one stitch per woman, as women born in the year of the Tiger would put in as many stitches as her age. So grandmas born in the year of the tiger would have been much in demand.

Thank you Nick!! That is something I don't recall hearing before!It makes these Items even more interesting!and personal.

Rod
    ?

Super addition Geoff! Congrats.

Rod

Nice looking belt. Bet that one set you back a bit.

Charlie

MAP
    ?

That is sweet Geoff. Another winner for you.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

That's a beautiful piece Geoff, I love the artwork seen on these belts and flags, nice pick-up!

Regards

Russ

?

I really like that one , congrats on a finding it Geoff .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

CBH
    ?

I have heard of these before , thank you for the explanation and photos . Nice item

Well..Michaels just happened to have a 70% off framing sale so I took advantage of it!!The finished product attracted quite a bit of attention, so I was able to pass out a number of my business cards! I must admit it seemed a bit odd to see so many women interested and inquisitive, and I had to explain several times the purpose of these belts.I have to say that it was the first time I have ever had women relate to a piece of militaria in this way. Really interesting.. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tiger Senninbari  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast