Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

(Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen

Article about: I recently bought this interesting (to me) piece, a Japanese canteen within a US canteen cover (two birds with one stone in my book!) Now the US canteen cover is, as expected though has a na

?

Default (Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen

I recently bought this interesting (to me) piece, a Japanese canteen within a US canteen cover (two birds with one stone in my book!) Now the US canteen cover is, as expected though has a name...or something written, which is always interesting and appears to have undergone some rough times (whether that be a wartime thing or after the fact I cant be sure). More interestingly, as you can see in the photo's the Canteen has small images and Japanese characters - I have no clue at all what these mean (besides the top of the lid being a compass) and would really appreciate it if someone could translate it!

Also, would the lid have been used as a small cup? and who exactly would of been equipped with this canteen? Besides the cork top it does not resemble any WW2 Japanese canteen's I have seen myself.

Help as always, is appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture (Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen   (Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen  

(Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen   (Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen  

(Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen   (Translation help?) Japanese steel canteen  

I think this canteen for travel / civilian use

Marking - Nasu Aluminium :

?

hm, possible it was private use by Japanese officer? (I've seen similar looking canteen's to mine in IJN or IJA covers - stated to be Officers canteens) I'd still be interested of course to know what the Japanese means

The stamp on the lid only says "registered trademark". The marking on the bottle's neck is at least wartime, as it is read from right to left. Compasses in the lid were a common commercial feature, but officers used private purchase canteens, so it could still possibly be one from an officer, but it was obviously srtipped of its original cover and carry strap and improvised into a GI style carry arrangement. It must be aluminum, not steel as in your title.

?

Would you say that it was put with the US cover by a collector or something, or that a US Marine or Soldier took a liking to the canteen during the war? Because I'd say the cover looks like it's done a few rounds. Ah, my bad on that then. Thanks for the insight!