Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation Requested

Article about: Hello-- My brother just received this a gift. Can anyone identify what it is, and what the characters mean? Thanks in advance!

Default Translation Requested

Hello--

My brother just received this a gift.
    Can anyone identify what it is, and what the characters mean?

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation Requested  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

That is a Sake cup intended to be given away by the soldier to his friends and relatives, who assembled to send him off. More often given out upon return from military service than when leaving for service.

On top it says 16th Year of Taisho, which translates into 1927. However,there actually was no 16th year of Taisho, because Emperor Taisho died on Christmas Day of Taisho 15. The character within the cherry blossom means celebration and the words below say "Entering the Army Farewell Commemorative".

Induction into the army normally took place on 1st December, so the manufacturer may have been stocking up for sale in December 1927, but as 1927 became the 2nd Year of Showa (25th to 31st December 1926 was the 1st Year of Showa) instead of 16th year of Taisho, the cup could no longer be sold and probably remained unissued.

Ones presented would have the soldier's name on the bottom, but that one would have been dead stock so underside should be blank.

Read posts 54 and 55 of the thread below for details of Emperor Taisho's death
    Commemorative Medals of the Empire of Japan

Nick, thanks so much!

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”