Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Tunic I won on Ebay

Article about: Hey guys, I am needing some help to identify I tunic I recently won on Ebay pretty cheap. I am trying to figure out exactly what model it is, it kind of looks like a Type 98, but something s

Default Tunic I won on Ebay

Hey guys, I am needing some help to identify I tunic I recently won on Ebay pretty cheap. I am trying to figure out exactly what model it is, it kind of looks like a Type 98, but something seems a bit off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Name:  tunic2.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  19.3 KBName:  tunic3.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  18.0 KBName:  tunic4.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  23.4 KBName:  tunic1 - Copy.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  22.4 KB

?

Sure looks like a Type 98 tunic.

Cool, the external buttons on the two bottom pockets seemed strange to me, as does the bayonet thing, it looks sewn on.

Rod
    ?

Showa 19, or as we say 1944. on the inspection stamp, right side (which is the size column) it says 5 and below that Dai or large. The Type 98 or 1938 model tunic has numbers (like 5) for sizes and the Type 3 or 1943 model gives small, medium or large but both formats together don't make sense. On the left side I think it's Osaka Depot. Usually there are two more stamps, one with the model, 98 or 3 for example and a supplier stamp.

The belt loop is messed up as you guys have already noted and there are no period Japanese uniforms with lower button down pockets that I'm aware of. Whatever it is it's summer wear.

Rod

Got the tunic in the mail, here are some better pictures of the buttons, which I think are neat, very ornate and the thread matches the rest of the uniform, which makes me think they might be original. I was informed on another forum that it is probably an academy uniform.

Also got this named heavy cotton work tunic: