MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Two Japanese Army helmets from the battle of Attu

Article about: As an Alaskan, I have always held particular fascination with the battle of Attu and the Aleutian campaign. Here are two helmets souvenir-ed from that battle. First up is a rare small sized

?

Default Two Japanese Army helmets from the battle of Attu

As an Alaskan, I have always held particular fascination with the battle of Attu and the Aleutian campaign.

Here are two helmets souvenir-ed from that battle.

First up is a rare small sized variant. The words "Attu 43 Japanese" are penciled inside the shell, hidden under the leather.

Blood stains are also evident. Very few prisoners were taken in this battle, and the vast majority of the 3000 man garrison died in battle or committed suicide.

There are very few of these helmets with Attu provenance around. There is a display case at the University of Alaska museum that features a helmet, but I doubt it is from Attu. Since they also display a German bayonet from the Aleutian campaign!

Two Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of Attu

- - Updated - -

Here is the second one, in a large size. I added the star. It is also a battle damaged helmet.

Two Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of AttuTwo Japanese Army helmets from the battle of Attu

Default Re: Two Japanese Army helmets from the battle of Attu

These are two extremely nice Japanese lids.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Very nice Jap lids, and with provenience. Really great

Jason

?

Beautiful pair of lids with great patina and tone. The fact they can be traced to a particular battle - and a little known one at that - makes them very special. Thanks for posting them.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Super looking helmets and love the liners !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I'm becoming more affectionate of these helmets more and more as time passes.

?

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I might mention that I believe the first helmet has been varnished. You can see some traces of varnish inside the helmet as well. Does not detract in my opinion, given its provenance.

Awesome JIA lids. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers-

Dareen