Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help Please

Article about: I acquired this item today, mainly bought for the scabbard. I am assuming a late war training bayonet as there are not any arsenal markings or serial numbers along with a rubberized scabbard

Default Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help Please

I acquired this item today, mainly bought for the scabbard. I am assuming a late war training bayonet as there are not any arsenal markings or serial numbers along with a rubberized scabbard. I could not find any training bayonets issued with rubberized scabbards when searching. Is this a late war military bayonet or a training bayonet? I am also trying to figure out what type of rubber scabbard this would be. One member on the Gunboards forum stated LB-223 Navy Special variation P2. The references I have do not go into that much detail and was not able to see the differences when searching. There are not any markings on the scabbard. All opinions are appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help PleaseType 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help PleaseType 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help PleaseType 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help PleaseType 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help PleaseType 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help PleaseType 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help Please

?

Is it possible the "hook" of the crossguard has been removed? I haven't seen a training bayonet with a straight guard before.

In the Bayonet book it's a LB-223 variation P2 like you stated above. These were made by the Toyokawa Kosho Naval Arsenal and are thought to be intended for the Navy Special rifles. Nice ones like yours (and mine) are quite desirable collectables. Note the false upper edge at the tip that are typical for this scarce bayonet. They are normally found in this type of rubber scabbard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help Please   Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help Please  

Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help Please   Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard Help Please  

Last edited by arisakadogs; 07-21-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Thank you Arisakadogs, much appreciated. Your bayo is a bit nicer than mine. Very nice.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 07-22-2019 at 01:49 AM.

?

That is cool. First time seeing one of these LB-223 Navy Special variation P2.and the rubberized frog/scabbard.
    So is this for the naval training rifles?
    Congrats on that find.

Semper Fi
    Phil

It is my understanding or lack thereof that these are military combat bayonets. I stirred the pot by originally thinking this was a training bayonet since it lacked any markings. That was my lack of knowledge. It appears to be an original in fair condition. The scabbard still being pliable is a big plus in my mind but probably does not affect overall value that much.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 07-22-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So is this for the naval training rifles?
    Congrats on that find.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    No, as said it's for the Navy Special rifles

?

Navy Bayonet

Another navy bayonet is this with black scabbard

?

Can we be sure these are Naval issue, when none seem to bear any Navy markings (or often any other markings)?
    I have always wondered if this is just an assumption, based upon the rubber (ergo ‘waterproof’) scabbard, that has entered into collector lore...

I’m not really a bayonet man, so I’m standing by to get shot down in flames...

Bob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Can we be sure these are Naval issue, when none seem to bear any Navy markings (or often any other markings)?
    Some have naval anchor and encircled TO inspection marks ink stamped on the rear of the frog. It doesn't get any more naval issue than that. And often times painted/inked on unit marks have naval associations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast