Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 30 Bayonet Used as Cutting Target

Article about: Togo sensei 東郷先生 was a friend of my then-teacher, Obata Toshishiro. I visited him in 1985 at the city sports center where he taught his version of self-defense. T

Default Type 30 Bayonet Used as Cutting Target

Togo sensei 東郷先生 was a friend of my then-teacher, Obata Toshishiro. I visited him in 1985 at the city sports center where he taught his version of self-defense. Togo sensei's affectation was to wear a single wrist wrap .... this was way before Michael Jackson began to sport a single glove. He might also have been involved as a part actor for NHK's Taiga Drama (I believe he, along with Obata, was an employee of Hayashi Kunishiro, the NHK martial arts coordinator and president of Wakakoma Productions).

Anyway, I believe this image is from QUARK magazine. Around 1985 they did an article on the scientific composition of Japanese swords, and Togo sensei did some test cutting for the article. The bayonet was fixed into an edge-up position by nails on each end of the blade; the sword was in aratogi -- rough polish -- and was forged by the smith who made my sword, Kobayashi Yasuhiro 小林康宏 [*not* a Yasukuni smith].

Enjoy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 30 Bayonet Used as Cutting Target  

Did it nick the blade of the sword?

MAP
    ?

Now this is the guy that needs to do the strength testing in "Forged on Fire"!

Pretty neat Guy! Great photo
    Last edited by MAP; 07-30-2019 at 04:35 AM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Excellent photo.
    I've seen other pic's/video's showing the sharpness and strength of the Japanese sword, But this is a first of it cutting a type 30 bayonet.
    Very Cool.
    Thanks for sharing this pic and your education in the art.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Wow!! That is some test!

Regards

Russ

Quote by arisakadogs View Post
    Did it nick the blade of the sword?
    Nope ! Yasuhiro's swords were well-made; also, the blade had more of a clam-shell geometry which cut well through bamboo as well as makiwara.

--Guy

?

Wow,..... just wow!

?

Waste of a nice early bayonet...

?

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Waste of a nice early bayonet...
    To a certain extent,.... but a WW2 bayonet is not legally collectable, (as far as I know) in Japan, and so would have been cut in half by the police anyway.

It's a training bayonet, so soft unhardened steel blade. The goofy fuller starting a couple inches from the crossguard is a dead giveaway, even with an old grainy pic.

Still pretty interesting to see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast