Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Type 90 Cover for opinions

Article about: Hello again all, Sorry to bring up this thread again but there are still some uncertainty in regards to what this cover actually is. Thanks to the invaluable help from other members (and a l

Default I am still wondering what this is?

Hello again all,

Sorry to bring up this thread again but there are still some uncertainty in regards to what this cover actually is.

Thanks to the invaluable help from other members (and a little of my own research), I am certain it is not a type 90 cover. First, the material; it is of a very strong canvas type material, to my knowledge; all were made from cotton I believe. I have looked at a lot of originals (I purchased a current repro, closer in design to an original). The design is noticeably different, the stitching and folds, and the lack of inner-liner. I should note here, that although as has been noted, the construction is bad, this thing has been made very strong, there is no way I could rip this apart without cutting it - it is VERY strong stitched canvas. These points, in my opinion, tend to point away from a (from at least a relatively current) repro type 90 - Perhaps it is, as has been suggested, an old movie prop or old repro, perhaps the most plausible theory and it appears to have some age; but why not just make a soft cotton example? A bit nonsensical in my eyes. And the government stamp (copy?) would be a bit unusual for the inside of a movie prop uniform. In saying all this, I am certainly classifying it as an old repro but it is still a bit of a head scratcher.

I will ask again if anyone has ever seen anything like this? I'd love to pin it to an old movie

I admit I have been playing with the idea of it being a rare type of fire-proof cover for the civilian helmet
    Back to reality, I would appreciate any further help with the wrong government stampings, where are they from?

Thanks again for looking! And I hope this is somewhat educational to future collectors if this type pops up again
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 90 Cover for opinions   Type 90 Cover for opinions  

Type 90 Cover for opinions   Type 90 Cover for opinions  

?

Still not original.

I hate to say this but really not a chance.

Regards,
    Taka

It's an interesting cover that shows some age, but it doesn't have hardly anything in common with the standard 1st and 2nd pattern army covers. Everything, from the materials used...down to the construction of the star is different. I doubt it would be a civilian cover because of the army star. How does it smell?

Quote by Gunto View Post
    Still not original.
    Many thanks for your always interminable and informative knowledge

SHINDENKAI
    I hate to say this but really not a chance.
    Thanks Taka, not a problem, my comment was intended to be a little tongue in cheek. I would still like to know more about the stamp if at all possible. My problem is more in regards to finding out what it was made for. I have resigned to the possibility that this may never be known In any case, many thanks for your help! Cheers.

?

製造番号 
    Manufacture number
    月 製造 年品 
    __ Month production year product
     型式
    Type

AFAIK real ones have
    - Size
    - Year (in Showa)
    - Depot
    Vertically right-left with a oval stamp on the bottom left for the maker stamp and possibly material (eg スフ/rayon)

Rod
    ?

Sorry Chris,

I don't think the stamp makes any sense. It doesn't mention Showa and says year but doesn't give one, it says month and doesn't give one. Aside from the stamp being horizontal, not vertical and nothing like an army one it provides no information.

Does it fit a Type 90 helmet?

To me it looks like someone with a box of stamps went to the trouble of making a Halloween, for lack of a better description, piece.

Regards, Rod

?

Sorry to be like this BUT it is a very well known repro. End of subject, period, done & over

Quote by Jareth View Post
    Sorry to be like this BUT it is a very well known repro. End of subject, period, done & over
    Thanks Jareth but no apologies required. As I said, I certainly classify it as an old repro.
    I (and some others) thought it an interesting cover due to its age, material etc. - if it is as you say, a very well-known repro, all my questions would have been answered. I would argue it is not a well-known repro at all and this information may save someone a lot of money in the future.
    If you are dis-interested or this subject annoys you, just don’t look. Cheers.

Quote by haru View Post
    製造番号 
    Manufacture number
    月 製造 年品 
    __ Month production year product
     型式
    Type

AFAIK real ones have
    - Size
    - Year (in Showa)
    - Depot
    Vertically right-left with a oval stamp on the bottom left for the maker stamp and possibly material (eg スフ/rayon)
    Many thanks for that. I can see the stamp is nonsense. Thanks for the clarification. Cheers mate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast