MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 90 Helmet for review

Article about: Hi All, I finally found a nice type 90 within my price range, although the majority of the straps are missing it does have the original star, and all the right signs of original paint, a nic

Default Type 90 Helmet for review

Hi All,
    I finally found a nice type 90 within my price range, although the majority of the straps are missing it does have the original star, and all the right signs of original paint, a nice combat example, these are becoming harder and harder to find complete, I believe the Kanji size mark is for large, do you have any opinions on the dark almost black liner? Thank you for looking
    Type 90 Helmet for reviewType 90 Helmet for reviewType 90 Helmet for reviewType 90 Helmet for review

Looks to be an honest example. I think the liner was treated at one time to preserve the leather. The paint looks good and a plus having the star, and I you are correct on the large size. Congrats
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Yes not sure about different types of liners or colors on these as there is surprisingly no real in depth book or study guide on them such as with the german helmets.

As if my mind was being read member Nick K just posted an amazing study guide on the history of Japanese helmets
    Last edited by maximus71; 10-23-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Rod
    ?

There should be a date stamp on back of the front liner flap, just behind the star.

Rod

Here is the date stamp. I cannot make it out, any thoughts??
    Type 90 Helmet for reviewType 90 Helmet for review

Hello Maximus71 I believe your pad is stamped Showa 14 if my eyes aren't fooling me! I have taken the liberty of enhancing your photo to try and help.Below is what the stamp should look like, and yours to compare to. Showa 14 is 1939.Regards,Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images Type 90 Helmet for review  Type 90 Helmet for review 

Excellent work!!! I believe you are correct !! What date is most common?

Hello maximus71 according to Nick Komiya's Excellent pinned topic "The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version"
    production was its highest during Showa 17 (1942) with numbers reaching 1,546,000 units at its highest production levels. If I am correct this would make helmets with a Showa 17 marked liner the most common. I am not sure what the ratio of large to small size helmets was in comparison to other years.

Regards Geoff

Small was always within 40-45% range of issued numbers. As I work with samples of more than 200, it is also statistically a valid conclusion.

Thank you Nick,In your research on the Type 90 did you happen to run across any information regarding Civil Defense helmets? I am curious if there were any other approved designs for helmets other than the typical Civilian helmets most often seen? I know the Germans offered a Luftschutz type helmet for private purchase and regulated the prices.I have seen some examples in different styles and also a Type 90 style but more lightweight with a Civil type liner coming out of Japan.I suppose they could be construction or fire service versions but there is little info available on the subject. Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 90 Helmet for review  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast