Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Type 95 NCO sword

Article about: I am posting this sword for a older gentleman in my Men’s Bible study. The sword was brought home by his wife’s father. He may sell it so I told him I would try to get all the information I

Default Type 95 NCO sword

I am posting this sword for a older gentleman in my Men’s Bible study. The sword was brought home by his wife’s father. He may sell it so I told him I would try to get all the information I could about the sword so he could make an educated decision as to selling it or not.
    I do know it is an all matching sword made by Iijima at the Tokyo arsenal. The handle is aluminum with top lock, I believe it was made in the late 30’s to early 40’s. The scabbard I believed was repainted but the more I studied the scabbard and the wear and also the internet about black scabbards I believe it to be period done.
    Any help or correction would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95 NCO sword   Type 95 NCO sword  

Type 95 NCO sword   Type 95 NCO sword  

Type 95 NCO sword  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95 NCO sword   Type 95 NCO sword  

?

Hi Marty!
    I’m certainly no expert when it comes to these things (I’m still looking for a good, honest one myself), but I believe the simple Tsuba and relatively high serial number would indicate a late-war production.
    A very nice and interesting sword and thanks for the link... further evidence for the ongoing debate over black painted equipment and field camouflage!

All the very best,
    Bob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Hi Marty!
    I’m certainly no expert when it comes to these things (I’m still looking for a good, honest one myself), but I believe the simple Tsuba and relatively high serial number would indicate a late-war production.
    I was also of the idea that iron Tsuba of this style indicated later war era construction.

I thought the iron Tsuba came to be in 1942.
    John

I do believe ya’ll are correct about the date as a later sword. The handle screw is not dimpled and the wrap is more uniformed at the base. The date is not that big of a deal but is fun and educational in dating a item. DOES the scabbard look to be period? In hand it looks spot on right, you can see at the top some of the factory paint which would be correct as to the fact everyone agrees that no sword scabbard left the factory painted black it is a field application.

Marty

In my opinion, I do agree and believe it looks to have some age and probably period done.

Marty,

One way to check the originality is simply to remove the scabbard throat, by removing the retaining screw. The original paint is almost always visible on the inner parts. Steve (Shamsy) has been running an informal survey of these and is finding a 50/50 result on original vs post war paint.

The dating is probably a fair estimate. Fuller has a chart of 95's and tsuba types. Surprisingly, the iron and brass (he called them copper) are interspersed throughout the serial numbers, so the iron ones were not exclusive to the late war years. They show up as early as 26204 (Kokura) and 47079 (Nagoya) in his sampling. The combined industry was cranking out approx 18,000 95's per year, so estimating that Kokura and Nagoya did equal amounts - 9.000 - that would put these two at 1940 and 1942, which would put yours still later.

I've included a picture of my saya throat to show what to look for. If you decide to look, would you update us on it? I'd like to pass the info on to Shamsy.

I will ask the owner if he would allow me to take it apart. I would like to know too.

Marty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast