Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Type 95 sword Mei translation, please help

Article about: Hello! I have had this sword for about 2 years now. I have had multiple people attempt to translate the Mei and the writing on the sword and bag but nobody has been able to yet. Is there som

Default Type 95 sword Mei translation, please help

Hello! I have had this sword for about 2 years now. I have had multiple people attempt to translate the Mei and the writing on the sword and bag but nobody has been able to yet. Is there someone who can please help??Type 95 sword Mei translation, please helpType 95 sword Mei translation, please helpType 95 sword Mei translation, please help
    Last edited by REDACTED; 03-12-2020 at 01:30 AM. Reason: tried to rotate picture of mei to make easier to view.

Hmmmmmmm. I translated this same sword for Harvey R. Lipp back in 2014 here.
    Sword:
    石原道広
    Ishihara Michihiro

Address:
    慶北金泉郡邑大和町二七六香地
    Kyungpook Gimcheon-County YuDaewoo Town 276 Hyangji

所有者
    Owner
    文翊煥 (三浦一成)軍刀
    Mun Ighwan (Miura Issei) Gunto

If you sell/trade it, please make sure the new owner gets this information.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

For the record, and maybe the title is a typo, but this is a Type 98 officer gunto. 95s were NCO gunto and quite different.

Just curious, is that writing on the blade painted on? Quite unusual. Seems the owner did it this way instead of the standard surrender tag?

This is a Type 98 officer's sword like Bruce said.

The first owner of this sword is a Korean. His address 慶北金泉郡 is in Korea. His Korean name is 文翊煥. His Japanese name is 三浦一成. Many Koreans served in the Japanese military before the end of WW2.

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Hmmmmmmm. I translated this same sword for Harvey R. Lipp back in 2014 here.
    Sword:
    石原道広
    Ishihara Michihiro

Address:
    慶北金泉郡邑大和町二七六香地
    Kyungpook Gimcheon-County YuDaewoo Town 276 Hyangji

所有者
    Owner
    文翊煥 (三浦一成)軍刀
    Mun Ighwan (Miura Issei) Gunto

If you sell/trade it, please make sure the new owner gets this information.

Cheers,
    -- Guy
    thats so awesome that you could translate this for me. thank you very much. also kinda funny you already translated this for someone else! thanks again!

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    For the record, and maybe the title is a typo, but this is a Type 98 officer gunto. 95s were NCO gunto and quite different.

Just curious, is that writing on the blade painted on? Quite unusual. Seems the owner did it this way instead of the standard surrender tag?
    Yes it is a typo. I am still relatively new to Japanese swords and got these mixed up! it looks like its acid etched and blackened, not painted.

Interesting, and quite unique. But then, its being owned by a Korean officer is a bit unique as well. Makes the sword more valuable in a "it's a keeper" sense of the word.

Quote by REDACTED View Post
    Yes it is a typo. I am still relatively new to Japanese swords and got these mixed up! it looks like its acid etched and blackened, not painted.
    I don't think the writing on the blade is etched. It's not the proper way to treat a Japanese sword blade. I think it's likely that the ink used is acid based. The ink eats into the metal over the years. Close look is necessary to determine what is really going on there.

Hello—

I have been thinking a lot about this. If I wanted to get this sword back to the family it came from, is there any way to do this?

Quote by REDACTED View Post
    Hello—

I have been thinking a lot about this. If I wanted to get this sword back to the family it came from, is there any way to do this?
    I do not know the laws in Korea with regard to bringing in a sword. And being a Korean in Japanese army service as an officer .... well, his descendants may not want to know. It's touchy. When I was in Korea (1988-90), the older folks liked speaking Japanese with me; however, the college-aged kids were vehemently anti-Japanese.

-- Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 04-14-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast