Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 95s Have Hamon?

Article about: Interesting discussion developing on NMB about whether 95s were tempered and have a hamon. Steve (Shamsy) has one that had been polished and it clearly has one (picture added). I have a copp

Default Type 95s Have Hamon?

Interesting discussion developing on NMB about whether 95s were tempered and have a hamon. Steve (Shamsy) has one that had been polished and it clearly has one (picture added). I have a copper that seems to have one too.

Found here: machine made swords? please clirify - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

Thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95s Have Hamon?   Type 95s Have Hamon?  

I saw the topic there Bruce; very interesting indeed. Mine is on the way, I will check when (and if) arrived. I see that some of the specimens with hamon have low s/n’s, but one is in the 200.000 range, so not a practice related to the age of production: maybe could it depend on the arsenal?

My wooden handled 95, serial 211894, has what appears to be a dark temper line. I'm a little weak on the proper definition of some sword terms, like hamon, so I don't know if this qualifies as a hamon, but it was likely tempered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95s Have Hamon?  

If a Type 95 NCO sword has hamon, it's an oddity. Close examination of the hamon is necessary before making further comments. The situation is like a Type 30 bayonet got a hamon. If so, what would you think of that?

I have been learning more terminology, lately. I had always thought the term "hamon" meant that whitish area along the cutting edge, sometimes straight (suguha?) and sometimes patterned (various names). There is a polished 95 for sale, that someone posted on NMB and it has the whitish area along the edge.

Ohmura states that 95s were hardened and oil quenched, which would explain the darkness seen along the cutting edges of 95s. After reading a page or 2 on the polishing process, it seems that the phase where the pattern is brought out could be turning this area on the 95s white (hadori? yakiba?).

discussion is found here: Type 95 in polished condition - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95s Have Hamon?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Type 95s Have Hamon? 

?

I would always want to see a blade in hand before expressing a firm opinion, but when it comes to a Hamon on an arsenal blade, I think this needs to be borne in mind!.... acid polishing

A question: have the 95’s sharp edge or are a bit dull? I mean comparing them to a nihonto or a semi-traditional made blade with true hamon.

I own 8 95s and they range from completely un-sharpened (likely made in the between-wars time of peace - see Nick Komiya's article on this: Sharpening and dulling blades were taken for granted) to quite sharp. Most have a sharp edge, like most standard officer blades. One has rough file marks from being re-sharpened in the field.

Just arrived the late war NCO, and the first thing I checked has been the presence of hamon: well, it seems something is there, even resembling the midare style. But maybe just the traces left by the tool after sharpening.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95s Have Hamon?   Type 95s Have Hamon?  

?

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Just arrived the late war NCO, and the first thing I checked has been the presence of hamon: well, it seems something is there, even resembling the midare style. But maybe just the traces left by the tool after sharpening.
    I just noticed that the serial number on this blade is overstamped. Interestingly, this sword also uses the older 名 inspection mark that had already been replaced by the 関 inspection mark. If this sword has a scabbard, can a picture of the serial number be posted?
    名 = high 名201332.
    関 = low 関201505.

A somewhat related thread about a Nagoya Type 95 with a number added after the fact can be seen at the link below.
    Type 95 Gunto overstamping on serial?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast