Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII

Article about: T98 Shin gunto with leather combat cover ; nice condition ; your opinion of authenticity, is welcome

Default Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII

T98 Shin gunto with leather combat cover ; nice condition ; your opinion of authenticity, is welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII   Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII  

Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII   Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII  

?

I have to say I see a few issues here, the most striking being the Ito and what looks to be an NCO blade in officers mounts. The latter is not impossible, but gives one pause for thought. Time for a look at the Nakago.

Did factory officer blades ever come with a Hi (fuller)? I don't believe I have ever seen one.

?

Posted here on this site is a type 98 fitted with a fullered NCO blade, with good provenance and a link to another such example. So not unknown, but combined with a couple of other "flags" I would be wary of the above package.

A & H,

We would need better pics of the metal fittings, close-ups, and the blade and tip, and like Dave said, the nakago. There were family blades that made it into service during the war with fullers, many. Also, there was a style named by either Dawson or Fuller that had a custom fuller groove. But better pics are needed.

So I was thinking about it, but I've already seen something like that. I'll make better photos.
    Thanks everyone for the comments.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII   Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII  

?

Interesting piece. Thank you for posting.

I do not think that's a Type 95 NCO blade. The configuration of the bo-hi and kissaki appear to be other than those of an NCO blade. Particularly the kissaki. I'd like to see a photo taken from the side of the last 8 inches of sword tip. The kissaki looks Chu or perhaps even O-kissaki to me although photos may prove me incorrect.

Regards,
    Stu

Let's see a picture of the tang.

This is the best I could at this time. I hope it will be of help. Once again thanks everyone for the effort and the opinion.

Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII   Type 98 Shin Gunto Katana Sword WWII  

I'm going offline, need to work and earn, tonight, greeting

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast