Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Type 98 Sword Question

Article about: I will, thanks again for your help Mr.Coleman. I just finished giving the blade a coat of renaissance wax. Thanks, Robert

Default Re: Type 98 Sword Question

I will, thanks again for your help Mr.Coleman. I just finished giving the blade a coat of renaissance wax. Thanks, Robert

Quote by TNcollector View Post
    I will, thanks again for your help Mr.Coleman. I just finished giving the blade a coat of renaissance wax. Thanks, Robert
    I would strongly advise putting nothing but a very light weight oil on the blade. The steel is laminated and porous. It would be a great idea to remove the wax ASAP.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

One way to assist in the removal process is to warm the wax with a hand held hair dryer. You don't want to get it hot, just warm, then wipe it toward the tip with clean tissues or soft cotton cloth that have been wet with alcohol. It comes off fairly easily in my experience but be careful. It will take a bit of time so stay focused because if you get careless your friends will soon be calling you Three Fingered Robby. Then add just a few drops of a very light oil to a clean tissue or soft cotton cloth and repeat the wiping only this time very gently as you are applying not removing the coating. Sewing machine oil is used by some folks.

However, I want you to wait a moment before starting the process as my experience with wax removal has primarily been on machine made blades. Bob may wish to comment on my suggested approach. His experience in the nihonto field far exceeds mine so he may choose to modify the plan.

Regards,
    Stu

Thanks for the help stu and Mr.coleman I will remove the wax ASAP. I am glad I said something about it. I also have a NCO sword with the Aluminum handle I have posted in the forum on another thread I guess oil would be the best thing for that one also? You guys are life savers, thanks again. Cheers, Robert

?

Hello Robert,

Please wait till Bob has commented further on the removal process I have suggested. As far as the NCO sword is concerned Ren Wax is fine as the blade is machine made. You can coat it from head to toe if you wish or use a very small amount of a light oil on the blade and leave the rest bare.

Regards,
    Stu

I believe Stu's idea for removing the wax is an excellent idea.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Bob. Good to know I'm on the right track.

Now, I've learned from Robert that he has also waxed the nakago (tang for the TR folks) so for the info of anyone else who comes along and reads this thread it's important to know that when working on a nakago that you do so in the oppositie direction from what you do on the blade. The blade is wiped from where the hibaki sits toward the kissaki (tip) away from the nakago but a nakago is wiped away from the blade and toward the butt end of the nakago. That prevents you from carrying any debris from the nakago onto the blade.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2