Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vet bring back Japanese sword

Article about: I recently acquired this but know nothing about it, can anyone tell me the age and type of sword this is? I think it's missing what is called the tsuba.

Default Vet bring back Japanese sword

I recently acquired this but know nothing about it, can anyone tell me the age and type of sword this is? I think it's missing what is called the tsuba.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	954232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	954233  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	954234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	954235  

Name:	009.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	954236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	954237  

Name:	011.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	954238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	954239  

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	954240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	954243  

Name:	017.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	954242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	954244  

Name:	027.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	954245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	028.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	954246  

Name:	032.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	954248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	033.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	954249  

From your images, you have an unsigned katana circa mid to late 17th c. A ore exact opinion can only be determined with an in hand examination.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I would like to add that your sword is missing the tsuba (hand guard). I know from personal experience that due to the fact it is now going in the saya (scabbard) a little more than it was made to, that it may cause the saya to start splitting at the bottom. Just some thing I learned the hard way.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you, if I were to replace the tsuba, what would I be looking for? type?

?

Hi , your katana is adorned with old civilian koshirai and has never been adapted for standard gunto fittings , as can be seen by there being only one peg hole ( mekugi ana ) in the tang . This was taken to war with it's original fittings. i would suggest you could look for something like this , that could maybe match with what you have .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iron tsuba.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	954323  
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thank you guys for all your help, this is a great forum.

?

Make sure you measure the opening of the tsuba to see if it fits the sword tang.

There are many civilian tsubas that would qualify as period legit. This link shows a couple: َRyьR Different-species Gunto & Army civilian employee sword
    If you have access to eBay, you can find some. My dad's WWII guntos was missing the tsunami and I found a very nice one on eBay. Chances are the hole for the blade will not fit right, but I was reassured that originally, they didn't fit either, and were filed to fit. It used a small file and got my TSgt to fit very well. I'm on the road and left my tablet at home, or I'd show you my pics.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    There are many civilian tsubas that would qualify as period legit. This link shows a couple: َRyьR Different-species Gunto & Army civilian employee sword
    If you have access to eBay, you can find some. My dad's WWII guntos was missing the tsunami and I found a very nice one on eBay. Chances are the hole for the blade will not fit right, but I was reassured that originally, they didn't fit either, and were filed to fit. It used a small file and got my TSgt to fit very well. I'm on the road and left my tablet at home, or I'd show you my pics.
    Sorry, my tablet's auto-correct went wild. Google search Ohmura study civilian employee.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    It is not a good idea to file the nakago ana on an old tsuba as you will permanently remove the natural patina of the guard and cause permanent damage. There is a lot of bad information and half truths on the internet so one must take care as to the credibility of a source of information. By the way, tsunami is a large tidal wave and not part of a sword.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast