Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wakizashi

Article about: Hi all. I have had this sword for a while and I am looking for opinions on it as I know virtually nothing about Japanese swords. I have had a bit of experience with acid etched fakes so I ca

Default Wakizashi

Hi all. I have had this sword for a while and I am looking for opinions on it as I know virtually nothing about Japanese swords. I have had a bit of experience with acid etched fakes so I can spot them. This appears to be better quality than more obvious fakes I have handled so I am just after info on it really. Chances are it is a piece of junk as a high percentage of Japanese swords on the market are, but I just don't know. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wakizashi   Wakizashi  

Wakizashi   Wakizashi  

Wakizashi  

?

Default Re: Wakizashi

Personally I don't like it due to the lack of habaki, the tsuba looks like one you would find on Chinese fakes the tsuka is missing the kashira and the ito looks poorly wrapped. But lets see what others think.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did wonder about the lack of habaki (is that the piece that goes on the top of the blade under the tsuba?)

?

Use these pics for future reference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wakizashi   Wakizashi  

Wakizashi   Wakizashi  

Your pictures are not the best but I will try to give some thoughts on this piece. From what I can see, it appears to be an assembled sword with pieces that did not start out together. As previously stated, there is no habaki. The tsuba is not Japanese made and the seppa are missing that would have been mounted on each side of the tsuba. The blade may be a genuine Japanese made wakizashi but can not be verified without seeing the tang or nakago. The present condition of the blade does not show any temper. This is the best I can do without much better detailed pictures of the blade itself.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you Bob and MilitariaCollector for your replies. I would take the sword apart and show better pics of the blade, however I cannot seem to find the (referring back to MilitariaCollector's pics) Mekugi to take the handle off. If I can access it then I will post pics of the blade and tang. Cheers.

As the piece is undoubtedly assembled from parts by an individual with no knowlege of how a genuine Japanese sword goes together, there may not be a mekugi. I have seen examples where someone actually glued the blade to the handle. If that is the case, it is likely no worth bothering with.
    BOB

Dunno .... it looks like the tang is "rat tail" construction found in many repros from India.

And, I do NOT like the blade geometry where the habaki ought to be; it does not "follow the curve", but flatens out. What do you think, Bob?

--Guy

Hi Guy-
    Your blow up certainly shows that the tang of the blade is far smaller than what a normal wakizashi should have. It could be the blade is also junk reproduction. I have also seen blades that have been butchered to fit in to a handle. My initial thoughts were that the original habaki had been removed so that all of the added parts would fit together. Whatever it is, unfortunately for the owner it is not something of any value.
    BOB

As I suspected then, a piece of junk. Nevertheless it was good to get it looked at by people with more experience than myself as I really don't know what i am looking for. So I thank you for your comments as I have learned a thing or two.