Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wakizashi tsuba for Phil

Article about: Phil had asked if the tsuba on my sons wakizashi was signed. I regret to say it is not. It is still a cool one but I can not figure out if the motif are waves.I am not sure because there is

Default Wakizashi tsuba for Phil

Phil had asked if the tsuba on my sons wakizashi was signed. I regret to say it is not. It is still a cool one but I can not figure out if the motif are waves.I am not sure because there is a swallow on the tsuba.
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	880620   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	69 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	880621  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	880622   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	880623  

Views:	31 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	880624  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Your AWESOME Marty!!! No makers signature but!!!The outer edge looks like it is a separate piece. Is that what it looked likes to you?? Like a band of metal around the tsuba?????

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

The swallow and an ocean is common in Japanese art.

Name:	Shoson_Ohara-No_Series-Swallow_over_the_Ocean_Wave-00041409-080605-F12.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	880639

SF
    Phil

I don't know? I really have not studying tsuba's, I thought it was made from a solid piece of iron. You have better eyes for detail than I do. I am just lucky to remember to put shoes on before I go to work, I am from Alabama you know, and yes we do wear shoes.

?

LMAO!!!!I work with a Bama Boy. There are some redneck and interbreading jokes. You know why its so hard to use DNA to solve a murder case in Alabama??????????????????????? Because they are all related!!!! Buda Bing Bada Boom!!!!!!!
    I know I have researched the use of the outer band types. Its been awhile. But I think its a school or time frame!!!! You have PEAKED my researching interest and I will let you know what I find out.
    I hope the experts chime in on their thought. I am always looking to learn.

SF
    Phil

?

For what it's worth my eyes see it as a one piece iron tsuba.

Regards,
    Stu

Yes we do like to keep it in the family...I mean Everything!!! Ha, ha.. Is the outer band type a good thing? You know when you asked me about the tsuba it peak my interest also and I have started over the last few days trying to learn more about them. The one thing i will say is i have a greater respect for the smiths who made tsuba's... It is an art form all to its self.

?

Birds and ocean wave scenes can be found in Japanese art of many types. Have a look at the last several photos here ...

Broken ... but still interesting, at least to me.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    For what it's worth my eyes see it as a one piece iron tsuba.

Regards,
    Stu
    It's worth a lot, I highly respect your opinion Stu.
    The edge looks like it has hammer marks on the edge of the outer rim and the look of dissimilar metals. But like I mentioned. I am a student in learning and always appreciate the input of those in the know.
    Thanks for your thoughts
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Stu, I liked the plate and I see a pattern with waves and swallow. I guess it is safe to say the tsuba is in a waves and swallows motif? Marty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast