Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wakizashi w/bonji worth buying?

Article about: Is this wakizashi wroth trying to get for possible restoration? I know it is all about the price and if I want to spend the money. Is it unusual to have a Bonji in the sword/tang?

Default Wakizashi w/bonji worth buying?

Is this wakizashi wroth trying to get for possible restoration? I know it is all about the price and if I want to spend the money. Is it unusual to have a Bonji in the sword/tang?
    Attached Images Attached Images Wakizashi w/bonji worth buying?  Wakizashi w/bonji worth buying?  Wakizashi w/bonji worth buying?  Wakizashi w/bonji worth buying?  Wakizashi w/bonji worth buying? 
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The wakizash is a cut down katana. The bonji was originally part of the blade's cutting edge.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

This is an older blade and has seen a lot of usage. The blade has had a lot of steel taken off over the years due to significant polish. I can not tell from your pictures if there is temper all the way up through the boshi or point. Test the temper by taking a penny and running it across the edge of the blade. If there is temper, the coin will catch on the edge. If it slides over, there is no temper.
    BOB

Bob thank you for the advice and opinion. I like to collect quality items and not care to waste time or money on junk. I thought if I could get it at a low price it may or would be something I could play around with for parts or (gasp affect) try my hand at polishing a blade. Edit added IF the blade is already ruined and there is no historical value to the blade. If there is HV it would go to a professional polisher for the work.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Bob thank you for the advice and opinion. I like to collect quality items and not care to waste time or money on junk. I thought if I could get it at a low price it may or would be something I could play around with for parts or (gasp affect) try my hand at polishing a blade. Edit added IF the blade is already ruined and there is no historical value to the blade. If there is HV it would go to a professional polisher for the work.
    Marty
    Good luck in what ever you decide to do. Just do not attempt to polish it yourself. If you decide the blade is worth a chance restoration, be sure to chose an individual with credentials of having been trained in Japan. Avoid the egotistic amateurs who present themselves as something they are not. The blade is very likely pre 1600 and needs study from a trained eye.
    BOB

?

On a couple of occasions I've included in my purchase offer a condition that a blade I was interested in be submitted by the seller to a qualified polisher, at my expense. If the blade is deemed worthy of a restoration polish then I complete the purchase. If it does not then I can walk away having lost only a couple hundred dollars. It's not always appropriate for every situation but something to keep in the back of your mind. As you are in the lower 48 I'd use Moses Becerra in Miami as he's Japanese trained and is one of two I trust in the US. Bob Benson in Hawaii is the other.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    On a couple of occasions I've included in my purchase offer a condition that a blade I was interested in be submitted by the seller to a qualified polisher, at my expense. If the blade is deemed worthy of a restoration polish then I complete the purchase. If it does not then I can walk away having lost only a couple hundred dollars. It's not always appropriate for every situation but something to keep in the back of your mind. As you are in the lower 48 I'd use Moses Becerra in Miami as he's Japanese trained and is one of two I trust in the US. Bob Benson in Hawaii is the other.

Regards,
    Stu
    Very good advice from Stu. I also concur with his recommendations for craftsmen.
    BOB