Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?

Article about: Hello all, Extremely lightweight hat, feels like cardboard or similar. It even lighter than other 'real' pith helmets I have had. Appears to have had a star or similar to the front at one po

Default Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?

Hello all,
    Extremely lightweight hat, feels like cardboard or similar. It's even lighter than other 'real' pith helmets I have had.
    Appears to have had a star or similar to the front at one point.
    Nicely stamped, but it is wartime?
    The very best!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?   Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?  

Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?   Is This A Wartime Tropical Hat?  

MAP
    ?

Yes. Looks legit to me.

M

Edit: Actually, I spoke too fast. This is different than the other Type 90 Sun Helmets that I have seen. The vents on the side as well as on the top are unique to me. It might be good but I've never seen one like this. Let wait for others. Hopefully Guy or others can translate the Kanji on the label as it probably has the year of manufacturer.

For comparison, here is mine....

Japanese Sun Helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello Christek,

昭和十五年製
    Shōwa Jūgo-Nen Sei
    Made in Shōwa 15th year [1940]

横支検定
    Yoko Shi Kentei
    Yokosuka Branch Depot Inspected
    [横 is shorthand for 横須賀 Yokosuka]
    Despite Americans calling it "Yoko-Sooka", it is pronounced "Yokos'ka ... the "u" is normally silent or only slightly pronounced.

[EDIT: Thanks to Tomp for straightening me out. The kanji [Yoko~] I wrote is incorrect; it SHOULD be
    Hiro for Hiroshima. I had a case of the dumbs.]

It appears someone was going to write in a name beginning with "Yama~"

Yama
    Mountain
    ====

Inspector stamps:
    中岡
    Nakaoka

岡野納
    Okano Accepted/Received

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 09-19-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Many thanks for the help Map & Guy, much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Last edited by christek; 12-27-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Default Dangerous! Me Thinking Out Loud .....

The blank column on the date label is (I think) for the sailor's name/number. It ends with the kanji for what I'm guessing is "number." Nick can correct me if my guess is wrong. However, that particular kanji is probably archaic and no longer used because I can't find it in my Nelson's Japanese-English Character Dictionary, second revised edition; or any online dictionary. And, according to Nick's most excellent article about IJN ID numbers .... sailors used their numbers on name tags of Navy uniforms and equipment.

"number + tiger [号+虎]" is the older style kanji for "number."
    is the newer simplified kanji for "number."

However, those are not the kanji on the label ... it is sort of a combination of:
    (the left side only) meaning "number."
    (the right side portion only) meaning "deliver/hand over/substitute." [Unrelated in meaning, but perhaps related in morphology.]

The reason I think this is a very old [or unique?] way of writing "number" is because the way the 逓 "hand over" kanji used to be written; so if can be rendered as , then so ought to be rendered as is written in your helmet.

Anyway, "Number" makes sense, regardless.

I know what I'm trying to illustrate -- just don't know if I am able to succinctly relay what I mean to say.

Cheers,
    --Guy

?

Guy,

I am thinking that the branch depot name is using the old school "Hiro" for Hiroshima and it is probably IJA. My take on it.

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post
    Guy,

I am thinking that the branch depot name is using the old school "Hiro" for Hiroshima and it is probably IJA. My take on it.

Tom
    OWCH!!!!!

You're right, Tom .... I hate it when I "stoopit" do.

Hiro[shima]

Sheesh. Hiroshima wasn't IJN? Oh well .... still learning.

--Guy

This Army sun helmet configuration was adopted in 1930 along with the Type 90 helmet. The characteristic side vents seen on this early model were abolished on 8th April 1941. Furthermore, as of 1st September 1941 the metal star insignia was replaced by a cloth version on a pentagon-shaped backing.
    Unlike the Germans who used cork, these are made of woven wicker, which makes them very light.

?

As I think another member posted earlier in another board, you do the heavy lifting, Guy. As always, your assistance with translations is greatly appreciated, thank you!

A note on the marking if it was IJN (and hopefully others can correct me if I am wrong), I believe Kure Naval Depot would be marked if it was IJN and from the Hiroshima area.

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post

A note on the marking if it was IJN (and hopefully others can correct me if I am wrong), I believe Kure Naval Depot would be marked if it was IJN and from the Hiroshima area.

Tom
    That makes sense, Tom; I've seen 呉 written so many times that I should have remembered. I visited Kure on two separate occasions to conduct Command Inspections of the US Army Depot there.

Cheers,
    --Guy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast