Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What exactly do I have here? Real/fake? (Prayer flag/ID's)

Article about: Very interesting. Is there any source out there that I could use to maybe figure out what the other stamps could be from? I'll definitely be checking out Dr. Mike Bortner's book that Stu men

Default What exactly do I have here? Real/fake? (Prayer flag/ID's)

Today I went to pick up a firearm from my local FFL that I had ordered. My FFL collects quite a bit of militaria but primarily things from the US Civil War as that's his area of expertise, though he does have a few World War 2 era things. A couple Japanese artifacts he had caught my attention, and I bought them without really knowing whether they're authentic as I don't normally buy militaria. Supposedly they were all brought back to the states by the same vet, but that's only what my FFL was told when they came into his possession.

What I have is a prayer flag, what appears to be some ID cards of some sort, and a tiny silk flag that measures roughly 5"x6".

It would be awesome if someone could tell me if what I have is authentic and could maybe explain to me a bit more about what they actually are. Also on the prayer flag, I was told the red symbols on the second picture were supposedly from a Shinto shrine, if it is indeed authentic if someone could shed some light on that particular detail I'd greatly appreciate it.

Default Re: What exactly do I have here? Real/fake? (Prayer flag/ID's)

The larger flag is a 'send off' or good luck flag (Hinomaru Yogesaki)
    signed by family and friends of the soldier.

I'll have to get one someday..........
    Regards,

Steve.

AIF
    ?

They all look like good originals to me

Well that's a good start to what I want to hear. Honestly what I'm most curious about is the ID cards, mainly because I've been searching the internet all day and have yet to see anything like them. They all have three have English written on them in pen. From left to right they say "Haha a Civilian, lucky boy", "Navy", and "Soldier"..which I suppose is self explanatory. If there's a chance anyone could translate them I could take some higher res and better lit photos of them tomorrow, as well as the flag if anyone would want to do that.

It's funny I just came across this stuff by chance, and here I am fascinated by it and scratching my head all evening.

?

Hello,

You have what appears to be an authentic Yosegaki Hinomaru or Good Luck flag. The red stamps are called Hanko and can be obtained at different shrines. I don't have my reference material at hand so cannot comment as to which shrines at this time. If you take a look at the following link you will see some of the major kanji in your large slogans.

Thread for the Compilation of Kanji Slogans and Translations - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Regards,
    Stu

?

Further to my last, the large kanji are slogans and the rest, to the best of my knowledge, are names of well wishers. Perhaps the recipients name and the name of the presenter are there as well but I cannot tell. Perhaps Guy will be able to tell us more.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Here's a link to a great book on Yosegaki Hinomaru by Dr. Mike Bortner. He's MikeB over on WAF if anyone wants to get hold of him for a copy.

Get History Today - Home

Regards,
    Stu

You have some very nice original items there.
    Morris

Not sure how I overlooked this before, but I just noticed that this was written on the back of the ID that was marked as civilian. Makes me think these might have been mailed back to the US or something.

?

It looks like your flag has the shrine stamp for Minatogawa Jinja, imo a desirable stamp to have on a flag. I cannot make out the other stamps, but they look to be more of the "souvenir" kind that IJA/IJN personnel added onto flags, commem. stamp books, etc. Basically stamps that were added to personal items that commem. a particular victory: Bombing of Nanjing, Conquest of Peking, etc. They do not show up on flags too regularly and I cannot make out the kanji on yours, but their design point to the souvenir stamps (these stamps are still popular in Japan today. A lot of shrines have stamping areas where people can fill up commem. souvenir booklets after their visit.) The vast majority of stamps I have seen tend to be the from conquest of Manchuria/China from the late 30's, although one can run into early victory stamps from 1941/42. The cards are interesting. I cannot make out the kanji too well, but it looks to be pointing to contstruction personnel. It is funny in that all of the photo ID paperwork I have comes from shipyard workers, sugar cane processing plant personnel, etc., but nothing from IJA/IJN personnel. One has to wonder their reasoning for why they did the things they did clearance-wise during the war.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast