Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What have we got here

Article about: I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to Japanese swords, the little knowledge I have is not nearly enough to be comfortable, however I picked this up the other day, it was bought locally,

Default What have we got here

I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to Japanese swords, the little knowledge I have is not nearly enough to be comfortable, however I picked this up the other day, it was bought locally, and was brought back from Burma in 1945. The binding on the handle is leather, it has a wooden pin keeping it on the tang. The blade is not marked or signed, which I understand is quite common. It does have 3 holes in the Tang It is NOT a factory blade, it is hand forged, however the blade is not in very good condition, it is hard to see the folds, but they are there, and it's sharp. The scabbard is Leather bound over wood, the Tsuba is not elaborate by any means, quite plain in fact, so what is it? and how can you date them without being signed.

Any help or advice would be great thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What have we got here   What have we got here  

What have we got here   What have we got here  

You need to remove the handle by removing the peg/pin and tap on the handle. We need to see the tang.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

LOL Thanks................... I know how it comes apart, but as I said there's nothing on there
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What have we got here   What have we got here  

What have we got here  

?

The shape of the tang can sometimes assist in the process of dating the sword. That's why we need to see it.

Regards,
    Stu

Did not mean to offend!!!!!

Is it even Japanese? I do not see any file marks on the tang.

?

I dont Think its japanese.

?

Try look at seppa near fuchi , the hole for nakago is Way to Big.

Hello,

A Chinese made souvenir sword, made shortly before the G.I. acquired it. Hopefully one of our forum experts will come along and will be able to shed more light upon this.

Take care,

Mart

I would like to see a picture of the full blade and also the tsuba. The file marks may not show up in the picture likely due to age as the nakago needed to be shaped. The handle is unusual as there are no menuki and I can not make out the material under the lacquered wrap. This may be a theater made mounting for an older unsigned blade. The workmanship does not appear to be up to the level of quality of a mounting made in Japan. From the pictures I am unsure. However, I do not believe this is a wartime fake fabricated to sell to a
    G. I.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast