Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?

Article about: Typically what type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have? Would all Airman First Class have the same standard issued sword? Kai-gunto or Shin-gunto? Is an Airm

gwailo
    ?

Default What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?

Typically what type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?

Would all Airman First Class have the same standard issued sword?
    Kai-gunto or Shin-gunto?
    Is an Airman First Class likely to be an NCO?
    Would a pilot keep the sword knot on during flights, or is it just a part of the dress uniform?

Thanks

I am not 100% sure but I believe all pilots were at least ranked as NCO??

Quote by gwailo View Post
    Typically what type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?

Would all Airman First Class have the same standard issued sword?
    Kai-gunto or Shin-gunto?
    Is an Airman First Class likely to be an NCO?
    Would a pilot keep the sword knot on during flights, or is it just a part of the dress uniform?

Thanks
    There is no standard answer as pilot's had to purchase their own sword. It can run the gambit from factory made Showato to oloder blades mounted as shingunto. They could carry katana or wakizashi.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

There are swords that are often referred to a "Kamikaze pilots swords" because they are smaller than standard Gunto..As Bob stated they could have carried what they wished.It is my opinion if a pilot carried a sword with him and flew often, it would likely have been a Wakizashi as the full sized Gunto would have been a bit difficult to cram into the close quarters of an aircraft cockpit! however I have seen photos of pilots getting into the cockpit with full sized swords.I have also heard that some aircraft had provisions for a place a sword could be held however I cannot confirm this.Also I believe at Pearl Harbor the attack was conducted by Navy pilots so unless there were Army pilots attached to the Navy, the swords were likely mounted in Naval Gunto mounts. Just my 2 cents worth.. Regards,Geoff

?

This one once resided in my collection. Note the 2/3 size Type 98 fittings. Some call them pilot/tanker swords, some don't. To me it was a unique piece I enjoyed for a period of time before moving it along.

Regards,
    Stu

Default My son's "crewmember" or "pilot's" sword

My son's WW2 Army Pilots or "Crew members" wakizashi, with high grade fittings, The tang which reads "備前長船祐定""Bizen-Osafune-Sukesada." The exact date of its production is unknown. It has a straight temper line and a few signs of "kitaeware 12mmX5mm". Blade Length is 38.2cm. Sori is 0.8cm 30mm in width The entire length 66cm. This same sword is pictured on page 166 of Jim Dawson's "Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945, Cyclopedia Edition".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?   What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?  

What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?   What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?  

What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?   What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?  

Default Naval "pilot or crew" members sword

Here is another, with naval fittings and original tassel. This example has late war fittings with army menuki, black leather covered scabbard. .Overall length in sheath is 78 cm. The blade measures 54 cm and is unsigned, believed to be of the Shinshinto era. Photo 2 depicts it with a standard (machine-made stainless blade) naval officer's sword for purposes of comparison.
    This same sword is pictured on page 281 of Jim Dawson's "Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945, Cyclopedia Edition"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?   What type of gunto would a Pearl Harbour Zero Fighter Airman First Class have?  

Default So-called Kamikaze dirk

WW2 original KAMIKAZE Dirk (see Fuller & Gregory's book , "Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks" , Please refer to Pages 106 - 107 for the info on this scarce weapon. The over - all length of the knife is 9 1/2 inches 24 cm). The blade length from the point back to the handle is just under 6 inches (15.24 cm). The blade has a real Temper Pattern ~ HAMON ~ with a very visible NIOI line. The blade is 7/8 inch wide just in front of the collar. The Handle fittings are made of stag horn. Supposedly used by the owner just prior to crashing his aircraft into the target. This blade is sharp enough for your morning shave! Now that I have learned the facts of its origin, it appears to be good for little else. Win some, lose some.

Last edited by Nacogdochian; 09-10-2017 at 07:49 PM.

That is a seriously "WOW" collection! Looks like he bought them from Jim Dawson!

I wonder why the IJA menuki on an IJN gunto???

Quote by Nacogdochian View Post
    Supposedly used by the owner just prior to crashing his aircraft into the target.
    Hi,

I don't believe a special attack pilot would have done that. In fact, it was even forbiden for them to close their eyes in order to focus on the target until the very last second.

They did their sepukku acting as the blade striking the belly of the ship.

The tanto would be used if they failed to achieve the mission, in order to avoid capture. I believe the handgrenade was used more often than the tanto during ww2.

From what I understood many soldiers could have one, not only pilot am I wrong ?

It's not easy to make the difference between a tanto which saw action un military service and another which didn't, as it is a civilian weapon. What should I look at ?

Anyway, awesome crew guntos thank you for sharing, and thanks un advance for your help.

Cheers,
    Mat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast