Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions

Article about: I came across the following chart while looking into police matters. These helmets seem to have fans among militaria collectors here, so I'll put it up for your reference.

Finally, I found out when it was that the Palace Police changed their helmet designs to the first photos I showed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions   WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions  

WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions  

I love the "Peach" style helmet! The other variation reminds me of the English "Bobbie" police helmets.

What, A Japanese Dudley Do-Right!?

I already explained this in post 6, but due to preposterous claims some are making, I feel the need to get this straight.

In Japan, there was no such thing as an insignia for "mounted police". Instead, mounted police personnel were issued police swords with a different cavalry-style hand guard from 1903. That was the only uniform difference between a mounted and foot patrolman.

What has been misidentified as the mounted police emblem is merely the insignia for field uniforms, equivalent to the army's use of the star emblem, while the more elaborate sunburst was equivalent to the sunburst emblem used on army dress caps/kepis. So dress visors featured a wreath with the full sunburst, while the service visors had the simplified wreath and sunburst. It was as simple as that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 06-29-2021 at 06:01 PM.

?

I really enjoyed reading this thread, and seeing the different examples of helmets, logos and of course the history!

Thought i'd add some photo's of others i had seen just recently, but are kind of related to this topic.
    I didn't buy anything as yet, and need to do more homework still.

This one is still advertised at the moment, it is listed as WW2, however, the emblem looks like the National Firebrigade (from 1950)
    I suspect either Nick or Guy will give a rough translation of the stitched label no doubt!

WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions

This one was advertised as WW2 NAVY issue, that supposedly came from a damaged ship in the battle of Midway.

WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions

Yes, the first helmet is post 1950, made by Fumio Goto Emporium of Toyohashi City. The navy one appears put-together, as it lacks any navy rental labels inside.

Here's what we were missing before, the police dress cap badge used between February 1882 and July 1890.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Fire-fighting helmet rank distinctions  

Further to the above, here's the version before. I can see why they eventually came to the conclusion, 7 years later that this might give the police a bad name.

Here's the updated chart on the evolution of police and fire brigade cap emblems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2