Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help please

Article about: Hello, I was hoping there would be someone who could translate this brass piece. Newly found in an antique store. Any help would be appreciated. I hope I did the photos correctly. FG

Default WW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help please

Hello, I was hoping there would be someone who could translate this brass piece. Newly found in an antique store. Any help would be appreciated. I hope I did the photos correctly.

FGWW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help pleaseWW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help pleaseWW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help pleaseWW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help pleaseWW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help please

Default Re: WW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help please

第一給水加熱弁

No. 1 Hot Water Valve
    [literally: No. 1 Feed Water Addition Heating Valve]

--Guy

Default Re: WW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help please

Neat piece... IF this is from the Nagato, you have a real find. The below is from Wikipedia. Hopefully someone will translate this. Did you ask any questions at the antique shop about how the dealer acquired this? Would be worth a try if you haven't. Since this battle wagon was toasted in Operation Crossroads, there is a good chance this was a souvenir piece from the Vets who served there. I have seen items from the Prinz Eugen being sold years ago that were obtained the same way from Crossroads since they sunk her there too. There should be video online of divers on the Nagato's remains where she was sunk. It seems many sailors and soldiers there went souvenir hunting before the atomic blasts were set off which put those ships on the bottom.

Nagato (長門?), named for Nagato Province, was a dreadnought battleship built for the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during the 1910s and the lead ship of her class. She was the flagship of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto during the attack on Pearl Harbor. She participated in a number of naval actions during World War II, but fired her main armament against enemy surface vessels only once, during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. She survived the war and was sunk by the underwater nuclear test Baker at Bikini Atoll in 1946.

?

That's an interesting find. I wonder if the sailor shown in this photo ever had anything to do with that valve. He too was from the Nagato as noted on the cap tally. Unfortunately he didn't make it to the end of the war.

Regards,
    Stu
    WW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help pleaseWW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help pleaseWW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help please

Just a thought: Maybe this tag was picked up by one of our sailors that was Preparing the ship for the atomic testing. I know I would have, since it was going to be Destroyed anyway. We were so dumb in those days. We should have kept it. We seem to Destroyed history. Look at the German pocket battleship that was Destroyed and all the u-boats. You know the " Spoils of war".

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

To think that little brass piece was part of this mighty battleship, great item
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Japanese battleship Nagato, Japanese brass tag translation help please  

?

I would tend to agree along the lines of John's post. I have a direct vet-acquired fuse pulled from the bridge of the Nagato. The vet. (from the USS Oglethorpe) said that while the Nagato was at anchor, they were allowing groups of sailors onto the ship to look for souvenirs. Evidently everything that could be pried off, unscrewed, etc. was souvenired during that time.

Tom

Hello and thank you to all who responded. Your information is very much appreciated. Just talking about the history stirs the blood. Thanks again to all and good day.

FG

That' s an absolutely fantastic piece of history from the IJN Nagato!

Thank you for posting.

Regards,
    Taka

Yep - nice find - A little piece of history.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast