Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Japanese Binoculars WW2 or Post WW2 ?

Article about: Hello What are your thoughts on thee Binos? They don't say ( made in occupied Japan). I have a feeling they are post. Thank you for your time and help Tony

?

Default WW2 Japanese Binoculars WW2 or Post WW2 ?

Hello
    What are your thoughts on thee Binos?
    They don't say ( made in occupied Japan).
    I have a feeling they are post.
    Thank you for your time and help
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Japanese Binoculars WW2 or Post WW2 ?  

Magna was a post war brand that was produced until end of the 60s when a new name, Topcon came into use

?

Hello Nick

Thank you very much for the info, as always very helpful.
    Thanks
    Tony

Just for additional info. the first export shipment of binos was allowed out of Japan in March 1947, which for the first time carried the stamping of "Occupied Japan". However, they could not buy leather for making cases, so they had to get clearance from GHQ to use deadstock rubberized canvas cases from the war.

?

Quote by tony75 View Post
    Hello
    What are your thoughts on thee Binos?
    They don't say ( made in occupied Japan).
    I have a feeling they are post.
    Thank you for your time and help
    Tony
    Toko use this name only during WWII i think it is time war binocular not post war in according to this article :

" 1932 saw the merger of factories including an optical plant, to form Hattori
    Tokei Ten, to manufacture clocks. They made photographic lenses by 1934. At
    some date, the company became Tokyo Kogaku Kikai, Tokyo Optical, using the Toko
    mark on binoculars during WWII."

Toko was the army's binocular supplier during WW2 and Nikon was the navy supplier. Toko had very little involvement in the commercial market during the war, so when the war ended, they were in dire straights desperate for sales. Magna was the commercial brand they established to earn export income mainly to the USA. They used the Toko mark long after the war ended during the occupation and even after. WW2 models are just marked Toko without any fancy brand names.